Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Sunday Morning Lesson

"Maybe we should have Dad do it."

Oh, my lovely, beautiful and amazing daughter...those words alone will make your Mommy attempt (and succeed) at whatever it is that we are doing. I promise you.

Yes, I am stubborn.

Yes, I feel like I have something to prove.

But, really...I want to show you. Show you that you can do anything that you put your mind to. Once you get over the frustration of the moment and pause to stop and think...you can do it. You already have the knowledge and grit inside you, to figure it out.

Do not grow up to believe that you have to rely on other people. Do not use other people to validate your worth, because I promise you that you are amazing, just as you are. You do not need another person to complete you; you need another person who compliments you. A person who can grow along side you and propel you to be a better you.

Do not change my words into believing that you can never ask for help. I know that pitfall far too well and that is not what I'm saying. There are times that your knowledge or experience or drive will not be enough to fix the problem at hand. When you recognize this situation, then please ask for help. What I don't want you to do is to give up, before you've given it a shot. What I don't want is for you to assume that because you are a girl or you are young or you see yourself as weak, that you cannot do something.

Don't give up...and don't give in...before you have given it your all.

(For the record...we fixed the closet shelf...without hammering any of my fingers.)

No comments: