Saturday, March 8, 2014

I'm Telling You...You're Okay

There are a lot of things I, as a parent, have to teach my children.

I have to teach them how to tie their shoes, write their name and the days of the week. I have to teach them how to balance a checkbook and how to budget for things they really want. I have to teach them how to make scrambled eggs and how to pick a ripe pineapple. I have to teach them how to drive a car, pump gas and change a flat tire. I have to teach them how to make Grandma's chocolate chip cookies. I have to teach them how to make a bed and how to work the washing machine. I have to teach them how to use an ATM and how to file their taxes. I have to teach them how to properly dose and take medication. I have to teach them to recycle and reuse. I have to teach them to buckle up. Every single time. 

I have to teach them how to be kind to others. I have to teach them that nothing is a substitute for hard work. I have to teach them that showing up on time is a sign of respect and that standing up for yourself is okay. I have to teach them that saying "please" is always appropriate and to only say "I'm sorry" if you truly mean it. I need to teach them that although it takes big amounts of brave, they need to admit when they are wrong. I have to teach them that offering a helping hand in society is part of being a responsible adult. I have to teach them that loving someone else isn't easy and that loss is part of life. I have to teach them that people are different and that their approach with people needs to vary just as much. I have to teach them that they need to follow through on things they start. I need to teach them patience. I have to teach them how important it is to say, "I love you.", every time you say goodbye. I have to teach them how to laugh at themselves.

I have to teach them to question everything they've been taught, to be sure it is right for them.

Lately, I've had the recurring thought that I haven't given much time to one other important thing. One thing that maybe wasn't a factor when they were toddlers, running through my house, with their only need being Cheerios and hugs. One thing that maybe has only cropped up as they have gotten older and started becoming their own people.

I need to teach them that they are okay.

I have had song lyrics running through my head all day today; "She's just the way she is, but no one's told her that's okay."

I need to teach my children that they are okay.

Whoever they grow up to be, they are okay. Whoever they grow up to love, they are okay. Whatever they choose to do with their life...they are okay. Their choices, their feelings, what they want out of life...it's all okay. I do not have a mold I want them to fit into. I do not have expectations that I need them to meet. I just need them to know that they are okay.

So much of our lives are spent trying to be okay. Trying to be what we were told we needed to be. Trying to react to situations the way we were taught to react. Trying to be, what we were taught to be. Trying to be okay.

Instead of just realizing that  we already are. 



No comments: