Thursday, February 13, 2014

It's Over

My hours have been completed for my preceptorship and all I'm left with is a pile of assignments that I need to tackle. I don't know where the last four weeks went, but I know that I spent much of it in the car and most of it in blue scrubs.

I will never forget my hours in labor and delivery. So many things touched me, in ways that I didn't expect. I was welcomed by the other nurses and they willingly taught me. They were patient and they answered my questions, no matter how silly I thought they might be. I experienced birth, in so many forms. Birth of babies...of mothers...of families. I experienced death. I experienced heart ache and the realization that I will carry the memories of some of these babies with me, for a lifetime. I experienced frustration at situations that tie nurse's hands. I experienced how incredibly miraculous birth is and how amazing women's bodies are.

I'm thankful for the jokes and laughs at 3 am that kept me awake. I'm thankful for the opportunity to work with some amazing people. I'm thankful for my preceptor for taking me on as a personal shadow. I'm thankful for the many, many hours that I got to cuddle the newest people on the planet. I'm thankful to have experienced all that I did...even if it wasn't all pretty and shiny and happy. It gave me a glimpse into an area that I know will be my home one day. Not yet...but one day. I have a lot more to learn, clinically and emotionally, before I want to venture there.

To my family and friends that had to endure my crazy...I love you. I couldn't have done this, without each and every one of you. I'm sorry. I'd like to tell you that I will now return to my regularly scheduled chaos...but even that is pretty intense. ;) Just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I applied for graduation today and in just 71 days I will walk for my diploma.

Then you just have to love me through boards.

Oh. Did I mention I applied to the Bachelor program, too?

Who still loves me? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congratulations! I know I don't know you, but I think of you often. And wonder "what's Leann up to". Love your blog. Amy