Friday, December 6, 2013

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Finals week is here.

By December 12th, the only thing standing between me and my RN is three more classes, 120 hours of preceptorship and the NCLEX.

*insert sounds of me screaming here* Screaming with delight. Screaming in fright. Screaming to let go of the ball of anxiety that has piled up on my shoulders faster than a snowball rolling down hill.

First...I must survive the hell of finals week. None of my professors feel that a study guide would be helpful. For a comprehensive final. That will also not have any repeat questions from the rest of the semester's exams. (Go ahead...mouth "What. The. Eff?" I have. Several times.) Apparently, being given a few textbooks that are each...eh...1,800-2,600 pages a piece, is sufficient. "Just know...all of that...plus anything else we haven't covered."

I have come to terms with the fact that I will be getting my first B this semester. B. Yeah. You know what? I have learned more this semester, than any other semester...and a miniscule amount of that knowledge has come from my classes.

Real life, my friends. It will teach you far more than case studies, books and a professor ever can.

I have learned how to think first and react later. I have learned how to deal with criticism. I have learned how to deal with anger and realize...it usually has nothing to do with me. I have learned the true meaning of dignity. I have learned that it is okay to cry with someone. I have learned that the art of distraction is powerful, at any age. I have learned to multi-task far more than I ever thought possible. I have learned how beautiful people can be. I have learned how strong I can be, under pressure.

So...finals week will come and go. I will spend the next 5 days studying. (And by studying, I mean that I will spend 30% of my time on Facebook, 15% of my time watching snow fall (look! something shiny!), 23% of my time eating my stress,  35% of my time complaining about studying, 10% of my time studying and 4.2% of my time recognizing that my math skills suck.) But...at the end of it all...I will have survived. One step closer to the end of one journey and the beginning of another.

Finals Week.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I think you have pretty good odds in your favor. Good luck this week. I remember those days - wondering how you will ever get through this? Now I look back, or happen upon one of my old textbooks, and think wow, I did something great. I'll send you the link to an online study course I used if you would like. I know it helped me kick some a** on the NCLEX. :)

Leeann said...

I would love that, Amy! :) thank you!

Amy said...

http://learningext.com/students/p/nclex-rn.aspx

When I graduated, I gave myself one week "off" ( it was Christmas after all) and then registered for the nclex 6 weeks later. At that time, we were able to apply for temporary RN licenses. Anyway, I was working full time, a single mama, and had two little girls. I used this online course every night for about 2 -3 hours, and more on the weekend. I signed up for the 5 week course. It gave me unlimited access, and I just practiced question after question. I chose the option to know if I got it right instantly. It really helped me - I passed the nclex in one try. Hope it helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Amy