Monday, November 4, 2013

I'm Proud Of Her

I don't shock easily. Not much throws me off my game, these days. I mean, once you've had your hand inside someone's abdomen, there really is nothing else. If that didn't shake me, what would?

My kid.

I had a conversation with the twelve year old last Friday that rocked my foundation a bit. I was once again so proud. So pleased that my child will seemingly talk to me about anything. As I've raised her (them) that has been a huge priority...talk to me. You can tell me anything. I won't judge. I won't yell. I won't get mad. Just talk to me. With that said...I felt like I had walked into some after school special.

I won't go into details, because the conversation involves more than just her, but I was so incredibly proud of her for telling me. I felt in that instant, that maybe I'm not the failure of a Mom that I worry I am half the time. This "almost teenager" crap is hard work, my friends. Hard. Work.

Today, this story got deeper. She took every ounce of courage that she had in her willowy little body and did the right thing. The hard thing. The challenging thing. I have no doubt that because of this act of bravery, she saved someone's life today.

Listen to your children, parents. Even if they jabber on endlessly about who wore what and who is dating who and how the fruit at lunch was gross and they never. seem. to. stop. talking. Listen to them. Because eventually...they won't be jabbering. There won't be an endless flow of girly chatter. They will be sharing with you a worry and a burden that is too large for them to carry by themselves. They will need your guidance and your support. They will need to be wrapped up in a huge hug and told "I'm proud of you. You did the right thing."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm dying of curiosity, natch! (Hehehe) ...but it's awesome to see parents that are active in their kids lives and to see this kind of trust and interaction :)

I used to run service calls for a living so managed to see all kinds of families, and honestly it seems like there are way more bad parents, if they're parenting at all (lots of that:( ). Most of them are incapable of taking care of a dog, much less children. (If I had a buck for every time I fed, watered and paid a little attention to someone's animals while on a call...)
Keep up the great work and your stuff here is appreciated!