Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What I Gained

I knew when I finally became a nurse, I would gain a lot of things. I knew I would gain a sense of accomplishment. I did this. Me. No one else did my school work or put in the hours to get me here. I knew I would gain job stability. I will always be able to find a job, no matter where I go. Will it always be in the specialty that I want? No...and that's a good thing. I've learned so much by being in long-term care and rehab...when I originally swore up and down that I would never work in "an old folk's home".

What I didn't know I would gain is self confidence. The ability to talk to strangers. To be able to walk into a room of people I don't know, and hold my head high. To be able to deal with people that aren't pleasant, with poise.

Those that know me...I mean REALLY know me...know how little self confidence I have. They know how hard it is for me to be in new places, with new people, and feel comfortable. They know how much I would rather sit in the corner at an unfamiliar place and go completely unoticed, instead of be the center of attention. Those who think otherwise...well...they don't really know me. 

Nursing has forced me to put myself out there, in social situations. It has forced me to talk to people I don't know. >stranger danger!< It has forced me to be the one that people come to with questions.

It has forced me so far out of my comfort zone. 

"Life begins, at the end of your comfort zone."

No comments: