Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What I Learned Today...

Today I had clinicals and was lucky enough to go to the emergency room, instead of oncology, like I was originally scheduled for. Not that I don't like oncology, or didn't have a good experience...but, seriously...the ER??? Of course I'm going to jump at the chance. Even though it is one area of the hospital that I feel the least comfortable in. I mean...go to oncology, you're gonna deal with cancer. Go to labor and delivery...babies. Orthopedics...joint and bone crap. The ER? You have no idea what is going to walk in...or be pushed in...those doors.

I was lucky enough to be paired with an awesome nurse. While our day wasn't exceptionally busy, I still learned a lot.

1. Drugs are bad. Just say no. They will lead you down a path you don't want to go down. (And that path leads to the ER.)

2. You can only be nice for so long...then you have to be stern.

3. You cannot help someone that does not want to help themselves.

4. Bored medical personnel will do some strange things to entertain themselves.

5. Avgard hand sanitizer tastes similar to a lemon martini. No, I didn't test this out...I decided to trust the word of the ER doc.

Did I mention that I have the ability to "kill" any department I'm in? If I'm scheduled there, they are guaranteed to have a slow day. True story. It is my own personal super power. It's happened to me, my entire nursing school career.

My nurse and I had two patients. The whole time I was there.

Yup.

My powers live on. ;)

No comments: