Monday, April 1, 2013

Overcoming Myself

Five weeks ago, I left the gym in tears. I "couldn't" run two miles. My breathing wouldn't cooperate. My legs wouldn't stop cramping. I let my thoughts kill my will to accomplish my goals. I seriously questioned my commitment to a 5K, let alone a half marathon. How in the world was I going to finish this damn race, if I could barely get started?

Today, I walked out of the gym, my head held high. I left five miles on that treadmill. Five. Miles. I never in my life, thought that I would be someone that could run five miles. Not only did I run the five miles, but my breathing was controlled, my leg cramping was minimal and I felt fantastic! I could have kept going, if I didn't have other things on my schedule.

Now, the ten mile run I have planned with some friends in four and a half weeks doesn't seem so daunting. The half marathon? Bring it. I KNOW that I can do this. I might not be the fastest runner (okay, I know I'm not the fastest runner), but I'm faster than I was before. I'm running farther than I was before. I'm stronger than I was before.

I'm better than I was before.



No comments: