Monday, April 22, 2013

Little Goals

I went to the gym Friday with a goal in mind. Six miles. I have run six miles once before and it was the hardest run I've ever done, mentally. I was scared to attempt it again, especially since my running buddy is down and out, recovering from surgery. I had to motivate myself.

Somewhere around two and a half miles, my mind started getting to me. I felt great and had come so far, but I was completely focused on how much further I had to go.



Then I realized...I didn't need to go six miles. I needed to go three. Then three and a half. Then four. Then four and a half...and so on. By breaking my huge goal into little goals, it made six miles less daunting.

I have to do this with everything else in life, so why not running? I am not focused on graduating school, I focus on one semester at a time. Sometimes one week at a time. Sometimes...one assignment at a time. I can't focus on the end, because it still seems so far away. I focus on one debt at a time, not all of my debt. I focus on 5 lbs at a time, not my goal weight. I focus on one clothing size at a time, not my end goal.

I may not always be able to do "big" things...but I can do a lot of "little" things, that can make BIG dreams come true! :)

No comments: