Saturday, March 2, 2013

Water Troubles

So, I drink a lot of water. A. Lot. Like, no less than 100 oz a day...usually around 125 oz. I have added fruit  and crystal light to it when I get bored.  I drink it ice cold. I drink it room temperature. I will make a game out of chugging it, just to get it down. Why do I drink so much water? Well, because it's good for you...but that isn't what this is about.

Yesterday, I tried this "energy" add in (think Crystal Light with a kick!). I have tried other flavors in the past, but this was the first time I tried the energy kind. I was headed to the gym and figured it couldn't hurt my run.

Boy, was I wrong.

I got about a mile in and all of a sudden, I felt like something was stuck in my throat. I hopped off the treadmill, coughing and chugged a bunch of water. (Plain water...no add in this time) ;)

Nothing was helping. I was coughing and trying to clear my throat and coughing and coughing...nothing. Eventually I ended up in the bathroom, throwing up, hoping that would help. Nothing. I grabbed a rice cake out of my gym bag and shoved it in my mouth, hoping that it would scratch and irritate my throat, to make this feeling go away. Nothing. (Meanwhile, this entire time, I'm aware of the fact that I look insane and there are other people in the gym who I know, who were probably thinking I had lost my ever-loving mind.)

I tried throwing up again and then it hit. My throat was beginning to get super itchy, inside. I ran up to Bek and told her we needed to go. NOW. As she rushed me home, I called Josh, still coughing ridiculously, and told him to have Benadryl ready. I was pretty sure that I was having an allergic reaction to the drink add in. I eat basically the same things, day in and day out. I have for months. It is rare for me mix up my menu. I knew that the only new thing I had introduced into my system recently, had been that crappy energy mix-in...which did nothing for my energy level, anyway.

I took two Benadryl and went upstairs to shower. I figured that on the off chance that it wasn't this drink and I had come in contact with something, I wanted to wash it off of me as soon as possible. This entire time I feel like the back of my tongue is swelling up and my throat is itchy.I couldn't stop coughing and clearing my throat, in an attempt to make it go away. I paid very careful attention to my breathing, because if it became impaired at all, I knew I would need to make some decisions, rather quickly. Either I was heading a couple miles down the road to the doctor's office...or calling 911.

After showering and using mouthwash, Josh and Bek looked down my throat to see large bumps on the left side and the side of my tongue was beginning to swell. I still felt like I was breathing mostly uninhibited, so I refused suggestions to head to the hospital. I figured that if it was going to make my throat swell shut completely, it would have happened by now. I was just biding time until the Benadryl kicked in.

Another five minutes or so passed, when I finally stopped coughing and gagging so much. A few minutes after that, along with some hot lemon water, and I could tell that it was starting to subside.

Today, my throat is a little irritated, but otherwise, I'm fine. I ran today, while drinking PLAIN water, and I was just fine.

So strange. So scary. So random. I never thought my water would try to kill me. ;)

No comments: