Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Drawing Lines

For two days, these symbols have been all over Facebook. I've watched friendships collide and families divide, over what is essentially...love. Yes, truly this is over rights and who "deserves" them...but it is fueled by love.
There is no gray area and no walking the fence, as far as I'm concerned, on this matter. You either feel one way, or the other. Either side can argue until they are blue in the face and what seems like common sense to one side, will never resonate with those with inverse ideas.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I'm secure in my beliefs and my choices, as I assume most people are. I truly have a very curious mind, that others may deem contentious, however I assure you, this is not my intention. I know how most of my family and friends feel (partially due to those handy little signs that show which "side" they have planted themselves on) ;) and partially because I have had some amazing conversations with a few of them. Many of my friends feel the way I do...but many of them don't. Bless the ones that don't. The ones that, like I, can see past our differences in opinion, have an intelligent conversation on the matter and part ways. I respect them, in some ways more, than those whose beliefs align with mine.

Not that you asked...but here are my thoughts and you can love me or hate me for them:
(Well...you came to my blog...and you are still reading along...so you "kind of" asked...)

- To those that do not agree with gay marriage: I cannot be convinced that "God's laws never change", because they have. Religion has changed and adapted, many times, over the last century. I'm not saying this to provoke contention, but I have always had unanswered questions. This argument or defense has always confused me.

- To those that do agree with gay marriage: It bothers me when I read "Well, he/she NEEDS to accept people for who they are." No one NEEDS to accept anyone else's choices, behaviors, lifestyles or pizza preferences (I like mine with pepperoni and onion, for what it is worth). SHOULD people approach others with respect and kindness? Absolutely. Do they NEED to? No. But that speaks volumes about who they are, not the person they are condemning. Besides...respect and acceptance are two different things.

- No one else's marriage has ever had an impact on my marriage. Ever. When I read that others hope that they can reduce the consequences that gay marriage would have on their family, it boggles my mind. When has your neighbor's marriage ever impacted yours? If it has, there are other issues at hand, my friend.

-I have a hard time with people that get frustrated with the fights and then say, "just let people live the way they want to live". THAT'S why there is fighting. THAT'S why people are upset. Some people CAN'T live the way they want to live. Who am I to deny someone the right to eat their own kind of pizza, in their own house, with their spouse? Again, I promise...it won't affect my marriage.

- The phrase "children deserve a mother and father", bugs me. That indicates that any child that doesn't have this exact, "perfect" mold of a family, is somehow lacking. Children deserve love. Is a loving mother and father perfection? Yes! :) So is a loving mother. Or a loving father. Or a loving mother and loving grandparents. Or two loving mothers. Or two loving fathers. Or a loving mother, loving step-father, loving father and loving step-mother. And a loving cat. The theme here is LOVE. Children need love. If they are raised with love, everything else will fall into place.

- It breaks my heart that anyone would be willing to lose their child over a matter such as this. I can't imagine writing off my own child! Knowing that people feel that their child would be better off dead, than gay, is heart wrenching. I've watched parents watch their child die...I promise you...they wouldn't care who that child would have grown up to love, if only they would have grown up.

So there it is. All the rambling thoughts that I have kept pent up for the last two days. (Well, maybe not all of them. I did also wonder when the man would take down the Christmas lights, because it is almost April and how many miles I have put on my running shoes. Buuuuut...I figured I would do you all a favor and sort my ramblings by relevance.) ;)

I almost posted this with a disclaimer, something along the lines of "I'm sorry for who this may offend...", but I'm not sorry. I mean, I didn't set out to offend anyone, but I'm aware that it may occur. I hope that you can still love and respect me, even if you don't accept my opinion. :)

3 comments:

DizzyMamma said...

Well said and for the record, I am in favour of the right of gay marriage, but understand others may not be. It is the willingness to discuss without anger that is the problem to so many.

Its the same with the gun debate. Too many are not willing to even contemplate the other viewpoint, when really, there has to be room for some compromise, just to get the ball rolling.

If only people would talk more and respect other opinions more, even if they don't agree, the world would be a so much nicer place.

mel said...

Very well said! I completely agree with you.

By the way, I'm not sure if you know who I am, but I just have to say that I absolutely love reading your blogs. I've read them over the past few years and always enjoy them. You are a terrific writer. You've brought tears to my eyes many times, especially when talking about aunt Pat.

Finally, thank you for being a wonderful example of a mother for me!

Leeann said...

@Mel: Thank you for your kind words. :) I checked out your blog...get back to running! ;)