Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's Not My Job

Dear Children of Mine,

          I love you. It is my job, as your mother, to teach you many things. It is my job to teach you your colors, even if you spend the better part of a year convinced that everything is "blue!!". It is my job to teach you how to dress yourself and it is my job to accept your choice of shorts, a tutu, a leotard, fairy wings and tap shoes, to wear to the grocery store. It is my job to teach you how to cook Grandma's favorite recipes, how to clean a bathroom, how to start the washing machine and how to tie your shoes. It is my job to teach you how to play fairly, how to accept others and their choices, how to work hard, how to play hard and how to settle a disagreement.

          It is not my job to run your backpack to you, twice in one week, 15 miles away, because you forgot it at home.It is not my job to run all over the county finding supplies for a project that is due tomorrow, when you have known about it for two months. It is not my job to take you back home, as soon as we pull into the parking lot, to grab your dance shoes, because you need them. You knew we were going to dance...you knew you needed your dance shoes...dance barefoot. It is not my job to hand over my computer, when I am in the middle of a six page paper for my class, so that you can do a power point assignment that you have known about for weeks. I'm sorry that it is due tomorrow morning, but it is 9 pm and you are supposed to be in bed. It is not my job to find your taekwondo belt, five minutes before we are set to leave. I bought you a bag that your gear is supposed to go in and if you didn't put it there...oh well. Looks like it's squat thrusts, for you. It is not my job to find your lost folders, lost homework, lost pencils, lost shoes, lost coats, lost iPods, lost boots, lost socks or lost glasses.

          I love you, my dear children. I have many jobs and play many roles in your life. Teaching you responsibility and consequences are a few of the most important.

                                                                             Love,
                                                                                 Mommy

No comments: