Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Secret

“What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow:
Our life is the creation of our mind.” – Buddha

I had the most _________ weekend. Plug any word in there, and you'd probably be right.

Amazing

Emotional

Contemplative

Tough

Eye-opening

I spent the weekend with a couple of friends, at their new home. They had invited me weeks ago, knowing the pressures I've been under (and because they are amazing people). We did nothing except relax and enjoy each other's company. There were no schedules. No rushing. No tasks that needed to be carried out. Just 48 hours of talking, listening, contemplating, thinking, reading and being still.

“Many people who order their lives rightly in all other ways, are kept in poverty by their lack of gratitude”
– Wallace D. Wattles

I spent most of my time sitting by their fireplace, staring out the two story windows into the mountains and thinking. Thinking about who I am. About who I want to be. About who I surround myself with. They provided me with conversation when I needed it and left me to contemplate in silence when I didn't.

I had the great fortune to see them interact with their teenage children. It was the same type of open, honest dialogue I strive for and pray I will have with my children. They were treated with maturity and in turn, had a very sophisticated view of the world.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step."
- Dr Martin Luther King Jr.
----------------------------------------

I began this post, two weeks ago. Then, the semester started and well...you know how that goes. ;)

I've had two weeks to contemplate my life. Who I've become.Who I want to be. I've spent a lot of time reading and meditating...something I have always wanted to do, but up until my weekend away...didn't quite grasp. I didn't know how to block out the world and just...be. I'm no expert at it, by any means...but it has surely opened my eyes.

I watched "The Secret" for the first time, that weekend. Life. Changing. If you have never seen it, I can't explain it to you. If you have...I don't need to. It made me realize how many things in my life are a  result of my way of thinking and not mere coincidence. I have tried to apply some of the methods from The Secret in last couple weeks and it has been amazing. My outlook on life has been far less stressful and overwhelming.

"I believe that you're great, that there's something magnificent about you. Regardless of what has happened to you in your life, regardless of how young or how old you think you might be, the moment you begin to think properly, this something that is within you, this power within you that's greater than the world, it will begin to emerge. It will take over your life. It will feed you, it will clothe you, it will guide you, protect you, direct you, sustain your very existence. If you let it! Now that is what I know, for sure" - Michael Beckwith.


I've drawn into my life in the last couple years a few friends that always seem to have a positive outlook. They never seem to take anything personally and when I go to them for advice, they know just what to say. Sure, they have moments when they flounder in their personal lives, but they are back on top, with a positive mindset, far faster than I would be. I've never understood it. To be honest, I've thought they were crazy...

I don't anymore. Now I understand why they think the way they do and why they are in my life, at the time that they are. I need them in my life...as much as they need me in theirs. I'm grateful for the role they play in my life and I vow to play a more positve roll in theirs.

"And you can break yourself free from your hereditary patterns, cultural codes, social beliefs; and prove once and for all that the power within you is greater than the power that's in the world" - Michael Beckwith.


If there is one thing I can take away from that amazing weekend (and there are far too many things I took away to list), it is this: Never stop learning. Never stop questioning. Never stop striving for better. There are no limits to what I can achieve. I am so very thankful for everything that I have achieved and aquired in my life, up to this point...and for everything yet to come.

No comments: