Saturday, November 10, 2012

I'm Not A Quitter

I wish people understood how much it hurts my feelings when they suggest that I quit or postpone nursing school. Yes, it is hard. Yes, I look tired. Yes, I am missing out on some fun things. These are not reasons to give up.

If someone mentioned that their pregnancy was hard or tiring, would you so casually suggest they end it? If someones job was causing them stress, would you tell them to quit, with no other plan in place? Or if someone mentioned that their church calling was too much, would you tell them to give it up? No, no and no. You'd tell the pregnant Mom that it might be hard now, but it will all be worth it in the end. You'd tell the person frustrated with their job to stick it out, until a better plan is in place, because it would be irresponsible to just walk away. You'd tell the person who can't handle their calling that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and they will be blessed for their hard work.

Why is my schooling any different? Why is it so easy for people to just tell me to walk away and end it? Do you know what I had to do to get here? Have you forgotten the years of hard work I've put in? Do you not realize that the program I was accepted into is highly sought after and each of us have been called "elite students"? I have one of twenty coveted spots. That's right...twenty. My program takes twenty students every two years. This is not something I walked into. This is not something I was given. This is something I EARNED.

If it is my children that you are concerned about, thank you, but please don't worry. I am a better mother now, than I ever have been. My time with them is precious...so I cherish it. We cook more, we read more stories, we watch more movies, they talk more, I listen more. They know that if they need me, I will drop what I'm doing and help them. There are times that I tell them they need to wait a minute, but teaching them patience is not a bad thing. They may need to wait...they may need to be patient...but in the end, they know they can always count on their Mom.

Yes, I complain that this is killing me. Yes, I have moments that I become overwhelmed and cry. Yes, I miss out on dinners and parties, at times. I need your understanding. I need your encouragement. I need your support. I need your love.

I cannot quit. I will not quit. I'm not a quitter.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

You go, girl! *snap*

I'm in your corner, hun. 100%

Candygirlflies said...

You got it.

100%!

Remind those folks just what a spectacular example you are setting for your children.

Because, you ARE.

xoxo CGF