Monday, October 15, 2012

What I've Learned So Far

1. Wounds...not as gross and oozy as I imagined. I can deal with them, but I am not going to be the nurse that runs from the other side of the facility at the chance to see a good one. I appreciated the chance to see exposed tendons (that was pretty awesome), but I was thankful that my gag reflex was in check.

2. Even grown, mature adults will blush and/or throw out some off color humor, when learning how to cath a patient. I stand corrected...apparently it is possible to cath the wrong hole...

3. Men, if flirty and perverted when they are young, do not improve with age. Please...stop trying to look down my scrub top. No, I'm not holding your hand...I'm checking your glucose. I'll laugh and pretend to think you are funny...but really, I wish you'd just grow up. I know that you grabbed my friend during your shower and really...that's just never okay.

4. I miss regular college homework. I used to be able to get by with 3-4 hours of homework a week. Now, I'm lucky to get by with 3-4 hours a day.

5. Medications are going to take me a good decade to learn. I can't pronounce half of them. Those that I can...I'm not 100% sure what they are for.

6. Other nursing school students are just as neurotic as I am.

7. I'm beginning to be okay with "good enough". Trying to do everything perfectly and give everything in my life 100% just isn't an option any more. Sometimes, "good enough"...just has to be good enough.

8. Miralax and Mucinex are not the same thing. Read. Slowly.

9. Little white lies...are okay. Telling someone that you are feeding them chocolate pudding with nuts (when it is really vanilla pudding with crushed up medication), is sometimes necessary.

10. Some nurses are amazing, when it comes to having students follow them around. Some aren't. I can't change them...but I know which kind I want to be, when I grow up.

11. CNAs are vastly underpaid.

12. Giving injections is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be.

13. I'm still not okay with asking for help, when I need it.

14. I'm thankful for the people that don't make me ask.

15. I can handle a lot more than I ever thought possible...and I'm thankful for the people in my life who remind me of that, when I forget.

4 comments:

Our Family of Four said...

i love reading all your nursing stories! you are amazing!

Michele B. said...

This made me laugh... and so thankful you are going through this with me :)....

Joey Clayson said...

Leeann, Leeann, Leeann...
This made me laugh like no other. Seriously. I think you might be blogging for me =) Love you girl! Joey

Joey Clayson said...

Leeann, Leeann, Leeann...
This made me laugh like no other.
I think you might be blogging for me =) Love you girl! Joey