Saturday, September 15, 2012

Another Trip Around The Sun

Thirty-one.

A long time ago...back when my age began with a "1"...back when all my responsibilities could be counted on one hand...back when I didn't have a freaking clue...I thought that by the time I was in my thirties, I'd have my life all figured out. I thought I'd be settled in my career and have my entire life path laid out before me. I'd be living in my forever home, within minutes of family and friends I've known for two decades. I'd finally...know it all.

*please pause while I calm my hysterical laughter*

I never figured that I'd be a thirty-one year old college student. I didn't think I'd be contemplating a huge move after graduating, in an effort to explore the world and expose my children to the wonders in it. I didn't know that in some ways I'd still be that same insecure and scared girl that I was two decades ago...in a different shape body.

Now, I can count my five biggest responsibilities on one hand...but they sure aren't my only responsibilities.


Now...I'm a thirty-one year old college student. However, at twenty-five I didn't think I'd be a thirty-one year old college student only because I never thought I'd go back to school. I would much rather still be conquering my dream...than having never started it. 

As for my life path...and having it all figured out...I don't. I sure don't know it all (shhh...don't tell Josh that I admitted that) and I am still very insecure...in some circumstances. But...that is okay. Some of the greatest events in my life thus far have been unplanned and I'm getting stronger every day. 

I remember asking my Meme a few years ago, on her birthday, what her most favorite age was. I wanted to know what age she would stay forever, if given the chance. I was so happy, when she replied, "Thirty-two". I was glad that she hadn't chosen an age that had already passed me by, because I couldn't go back and relive that age. As I find myself approaching my grandmother's favorite age, I think of that conversation often. Will thirty-two be my favorite age, as well? Will it be thirty-one? Will it be forty? I don't know. I just know that I am loving my life and the direction it is heading right now. 

No, I'm not where I thought I'd be by my thirties...but in some ways, my life has already far exceeded my expectations. As for that parts that haven't...

...I'm working on it. ;)

No comments: