Wednesday, August 8, 2012

As Summer Eases Out

Summer is coming to a close and while I'm looking forward to everything that fall is going to bring us...I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss the late night movies and flexible bed times. I'm going to miss Sunday Night S'mores, crowded around the fire pit. I'm going to miss the smell of sunscreen. I'm going to miss the pronounced freckles, on my kids' sun-kissed faces. I'm going to miss the endless sleepovers and feeling like my house is a revolving door for the neighborhood kids. I'm going to miss watermelon. I'm going to miss the ease of each day, with minimal pressing deadlines. I'm going to miss picnics at the pool. I'm going to miss it all.

Where did summer go? I swear the last day of school was just a couple weeks ago! I realized today that Bailey has six summers left. Six. Then she will be graduating and heading off on her own adventures. What a sobering thought. Time is scurrying along and I don't know how I can slow it down.

Ever feel like sometimes...you are missing out on your own life? Like things are rushing by you so fast, that if you blink you will miss so much of it? It feels like I'm always looking toward the next thing to accomplish, or next thing to cross off my to-do list.

I really need to figure out how to slow down and be in the moment....

...so I don't miss it.

No comments: