Saturday, July 28, 2012

We Are Siamese...If You Please


Sometimes, as a parent, you gotta do what you gotta do.

After weeks of fighting (also known as "summer break") between my oldest two girls, I decided yesterday that I was going to make them get along...at any cost. One long blue ribbon, tied loosely, with the threat that if I caught it off of them they would get two hours added on to their hour punishment...and five minutes later they were giggling.

Huh.

When one informed me that she had to go to the bathroom shortly after being tied together, I shrugged and told the other one to close her eyes and sing really loud so she couldn't hear her sister. They rolled their eyes and walked away, however the songs I heard being belted from the bathroom a few minutes later were enough to dissolve me into a pile of giggles.

About thirty minutes into their punishment their friends showed up, to spend the night. Their mom had called and asked if I could watch them and nothing was more priceless than to see their faces, at the sight of my girls tied together. Ahhh...peer involvement. This turned out even better than I'd hoped!!

That's when the begging to be released started. When that didn't work, I got:

Bay: "You can't do this to us!!!" *said all pitifully*
Me: "Oh, but I can."
Bay: "No you can't!!!"
Me: "Oh, but I did!"
Bay: "Well you shouldn't!"
Me: "Well, you shouldn't fight!"

Defeated, they walked away and I continued my reign as Queen. ;)

After their hour was up, we had another little talk:

Me: "Say one nice thing about your sister."
Bay: "I...uh...like your hat."
Me: "About your sister!"
Bay: "I like your....nose!"
Me: "Bay..."
Bay: "I like your...creativity!"
Me: "Say one nice thing about your sister."
Ry: "I like when you let me play with your beads."
Me: "Now give each other a hug."

They did...and then vowed to stay as far away from each other as possible.

Sometimes, as a parent, you have no idea what you are doing or how to deal with certain situations. I did what I had to do, in that moment...and so far, it's working. It may not have been the best solution...but I know that one day they will look back on this and laugh...

"My kids are driving me insane today! Fighting, fighting and more fighting!! Remember the day Mom tied us together...? Maybe...I should try that!"

;)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Hmmm...I just might have to give this a try one day with my girls....

:)

Tiffany said...

I love this. And the picture is priceless. You can really see which one was the most resistant. One fisted hand, one loose and relaxed. Awesome!

Bethany said...

Friends of mine growing up were tied together at the ankles as punishment. Let me tell you what, they could win any three-legged race! Haha..