Thursday, May 24, 2012

(I Don't Really Love It)

I love, love, LOVE when other people tell me how to parent my children. Even better, when the person who won't mind their own business offering the advice is someone without children or only has a single child. That would be like me trying to tell an elementary school principal how to do their job. Sure, both our goals are to raise successful, well-rounded children...however even I can recognize that their role is on a much larger scale than mine, so they are juggling factors I can't even begin to comprehend. I can also recognize that they have a lot more experience than I do, at fulfilling their duties.

I don't pretend to know everything about parenting. Hell, most days I feel like I'm barely hanging on, by the tips of my fingers. What I do know is my kids. I know each of their personalities, strengths and weaknesses. I know the kind of adults I want to raise and I parent to support that.

So, the next time I don't ask for your input or advice...take that to mean that I don't want it. I appreciate your need to tell me everything I am doing wrong. I appreciate your need to point out every mistake I make. However, I don't really want to hear it. When I decide that a person with no kids or one child has invaluable parenting information that I must know...I'll seek you out.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Yup. True dat!

Lacey Sue said...

I have lived through this more than once. *sigh* heaven help us.