Tuesday, April 17, 2012

She's Growing Up


She's growing up. I'm not ready...but, she's growing up anyway.

This weekend Bay and I sat down and had "the talk". You know..."the talk" that every parent dreads having with their sweet, innocent, precious child. Shockingly...I survived it! So did she, for that matter.

We have always been a household of honesty. You have a question? Ask. I'll answer you, age appropriately, without any fluff and brush off. We do not say, "I'll tell you when you're older." We do not say, "You're too young to be asking that." We do not say, "You shouldn't be asking that. Thinking about that. Wanting to know that." No. That isn't the kind of house I want to raise my kids in. We have always wanted to be open and honest with our children, in the hope that when and if they did have questions they would feel comfortable coming to us with them, rather than speculating or asking friends. So far, it has worked.

Her school is going to be doing the maturation program next week and I didn't want her to be caught off guard by anything that we may not have talked about before. (Click here if you are curious about what will be shown.) Additionally, thanks to the show Sixteen and Pregnant, she had recently asked how you become pregnant and I figured some quiet mother/daughter time was necessary to show her the video ahead of time and explain a few things.

I won't go into detail about what we talked about...however I will say that after our talk she has now decided that becoming pregnant is "gross" and she will be adopting. I pray that she remembers this until after she is holding at least a Bachelors degree. ;)

Overall, I'm really happy with how it went. She's an amazing little girl...even if her early mood swings make me want to pound my head against a wall...and I love that she was so open and candid with me during our discussion. I love that she trusts me enough to ask questions and I hope that she will continue to do so as she gets older.

I love you, my Bailey Bug!

1 comment:

Our Family of Four said...

oh dear, i dread the day i have to do that with calee. kids grow to quick. haha.