Tuesday, March 6, 2012

CPR...It Isn't Just For Humans

Never in my whole life did I think I would have to give CPR in my own home...

...and never did I think it would be on a puppy.

Little Boston fell today, about 20 inches from the ground. He immediately went limp, his eyes rolled in the back of his head and he stopped breathing. As I held him, I was shaking so bad! I have no idea what the breath/compression ratio is for an 8 week old puppy, but I began breathing for him and gently compressing his chest, as I yelled for my friend to call a vet. Any vet. I wanted someone to tell me what to do!

After a few minutes he began to come around and although he was panting very fast and was still quite lethargic, I began to have hope. The vet told us to bring him up to their office immediately and while I arranged for a babysitter (THANKS FUZZY!!!!) my friend drove 90 mph to their office, while still giving him supportive breaths.

Thankfully...he is just fine. They checked his motor skills and neurological function and deemed him perfect. His soft spots have already closed and the vet advised us that it is not uncommon for a dog his size to go unconscious after a fall. They literally knock themselves out! The vet put him on an oral dose of prednisolone for the next couple days to help with any swelling. The meds are making him extra sleepy and he is still a bit wobbly and slow when he walks, but I am so very thankful that he is okay.

He's getting A LOT of extra loving today. I'm so proud of my little fighter! But, with a name like Boston, of course he's going to be strong! <3

1 comment:

Lacey Sue said...

SO glad he is okay.
So glad you were able to work past the gag reflex and give a dog mouth-to-muzzle.
So glad I could help! Love ya!