Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mothers...Forgive Me

Mothers of the world...forgive me.

I don't know if it's the age old adage of "misery loves company" or what...but I love seeing your true selves. I love seeing a Mom that portrays to the world a certain image and then by chance...I happen to catch the real you.

I know you're thinking, "What in the hell is she talking about?"

I'm an easily impressed and intimidated Mom. I am easily intimidated by well put together Moms. Moms with a never ending supply of patience. Moms that manage to keep a beautiful, tidy home and well-behaved, on-task children. I get sucked into the thought process of, "What am I doing wrong? How can she do it all? (and still train for a marathon and look like she stepped out of Vogue?) Why aren't I that good?"

And then...

I get a quick glimpse of reality.

I love reality.

I love catching you off guard and not made up like a runway model. I love seeing that wild look in your eyes of a caged animal; patience having long ago run out. I love seeing you looking like you are D-O-N-E with demanding children. I love seeing your house in slight disarray. I love seeing you be real.

I forgive myself for my "faults"...every time I see you be real. I see myself in your crazy, tired, stressed out face, looking like you'd bolt for the open front door if only you could shake the clingy toddler off your leg. I see myself in your floors that haven't been swept in two days and the mountain of laundry creeping out of the laundry room. I see myself in you, as your rambunctious kids reenact a MMA scene around the living room.

I see your reality.

So...I'll try not to cringe the next time I see you looking perfect and happy. I know the truth. You're wearing mismatched socks, there are goldfish crackers swimming under the seats of your expensive SUV and when you get home you are changing into sweatpants.

I love reality.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Ha ha...YES!! I love that too! So often I feel the same way you do - wondering what I am doing wrong since everyone else seems to have it so together. So yeah, it's nice to see that underneath the pretense, they're the same as me and you!

Candygirlflies said...

Oh, YES.

I'm with YOU, girlfriend.

I'll never forget being "caught" by one of those "Together Moms" as she succinctly ripped her tween daughter a new one, because she was being blatantly rude in a public place.

The mother turned towards me and blushed deeply, while the tween daughter gazed at me with what can only be described as quiet triumph in her eyes-- clearly she thought I would be dialing the Children's Aid as soon as I could reach for my cellphone.

"I'm so sorry," said the mom.

"I'm not, " I replied. "I was just thinking that YOU are MY kind of mother."

I hope it helped her... mothering is SO hard, and do we ever all need to stick together!!

Lisa Moreno-Velasquez said...

I love it too! It's great to see that all these "perfect" parents are not so perfect like the rest of us. =)

Steph said...

As a fellow mother of five I am right there with you!!