Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Self Reliance #3

Do your work, and I shall know you.
Do your work, and you shall reinforce yourself.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson


Take a moment, step back from your concerns, and focus on one thing: You have one life to achieve everything you’ve ever wanted. Sounds simple, but when you really focus on it, let it seep into your consciousness, you realize you only have about 100 years to do every single thing you’ve ever wanted to do. No second chances. This is your only shot. Suddenly, this means you should have started yesterday. No more waiting for permission or resources to start. Today is the day you make the rest of your life happen. Write down one thing you’ve always wanted to do and how you will achieve that goal. Don’t be afraid to be very specific in how you’ll achieve it: once you start achieving, your goals will get bigger and your capability to meet them will grow.

What a daunting thought; "...you only have about 100 years to do every single thing you've ever wanted to do." I have so many dreams and hopes for my life; how much time do I waste not accomplishing these, every single day?

There are some things I've accomplished already, like skydiving and getting my first college degree. There are some dreams that will never be realized, like my desire to be a surrogate mother. There are some goals that I've yet to fulfill, like running a half marathon.

Why?

Because I'm scared that I will try and fail.

It's better not to try at all...right?

*sigh* No. I know it's not. When I started running last summer, I never dreamed that I would one day be able to run four miles straight; no stopping. But, I've done it!

Then...I stopped. Why?

Yes, I have a lot of valid reasons, like school starting up again and work increasing. However, at the end of the day, those are just excuses, aren't they? There is always time. Always. I thought I was busy 8 years ago, with my full time job and two kids. There was no way I could imagine fitting more into my life. Yet, fast forward to the present and I have five kids, a full time job and both Josh and I are in school. Crazy...how you can make time for those things that you really want to make time for.

I really want to make time for this goal...so why haven't I?

I'm surrounded by people in my life that are amazing runners. What if I can't compete? What if I'm not as good as them? What if I don't progress as fast as them? I am so afraid to try and fail.



What if I tried...and I made it?

1 comment:

Lacey Sue said...

You have already proved to yourself and universe that be that you "CAN" do it. Let all the stress and pressure and issue go...and keep doing it cause it makes you happy. All that other stuff doesn't matter. You are the best runner you can be! That's all you can ask for!