Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Agree To Disagree

I have friends who are vegans...that isn't going to stop me from enjoying meat and a glass of milk.
I have friends who ride horses...that doesn't make me a cowboy.
I have friends who are rich...that doesn't make me wealthy.
I have friends who are atheists...that doesn't mean that I'm going to denounce my faith.
I have friends who are gay...that doesn't make me gay.
I have friends who are swingers...that doesn't mean I'm a swinger.
I have friends that have done drugs...that doesn't mean that I'm a druggie.
I have friends that have chosen to never have children...that doesn't mean that I love mine any less.
I have a friend who has had an abortion...that doesn't mean that I agree with the choice, but simply that I respect the difficult decision that she had to make.

It is said that:
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”

I have friends...and I'm not always going to understand or agree with choices they make in their lives. However, I will respect their right to make them. I will be their listening ear when they need it. I will be a shoulder to cry on, when necessary. I will be their support, when all else fails. I will even learn to make vegan dishes, so we can enjoy a meal together.

I want to surround myself with people that have different ideas and opinions. I like having different perspectives on life available to me, at all times. There is always someone who can shed new light on a situation that I'm going through, because I am surrounded by people who view things from different angles. I may not agree with their thoughts, but I can accept them, as their own.

All I need, is the same respect given to me. Don't understand why I chose to have a big family? Don't understand why I converted from Catholicism? Don't understand why I choose to love and respect those with different life choices? That's okay. You don't have to understand. We can agree to disagree. Respect my opinions and I'll respect yours. Be respectful of the way you voice your opinions and I'll be respectful of the way I voice mine.

I'm not daft. I know that this isn't always going to be easy or without argument. However, I feel that I owe it to others and owe it to my children, to do my best to live this way. I want my children to grow up, knowing that no matter whom they become; their Mother will love them and respect their right to live the way that makes them happy. I do not want to raise my children in an environment that fosters a feeling of hatred or with them being afraid to disappoint me.

I have friends who are driven...and it pushes me to reach my goals.
I have friends who are caring and respectful...and it makes me a better person.
I have friends who aren't perfect...and it assures me that my imperfect self can be loved, too.

2 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Wow! Thank you!!! Beautifully written!
I have friends who are fuzzy....it makes ME fuzzy too :)

Andrea said...

Beautiful. xoxo