Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reflecting On The Last Decade

In two weeks, I will be 30 years old.

30.

I remember when 30 sounded soooo old and I was terrified to celebrate that milestone. Now...?

Bring. It. On.

Life is only getting better! If only I had such a sense of myself at 20, as I do now. If only I knew what I wanted, recognized what made me happy, stood up for myself and had the confidence that I do now...a decade ago.

The last ten years brought about a lot of changes in me. I don't know that there is any other decade in your life, when you transform as much, as from 20 to 30. I became a parent, many times over. I learned what it means to fight for your marriage and make it work. I buried a brother and a parent. I learned who in my life will stand by me, when the going gets tough. And I learned who won't. I've slowly figured out what makes me happy and how to love myself...most of the time. That is still a work in progress that will probably continue long after I blow out 30 candles.

I'm not dreading my birthday. I embrace it. I'm ready to move past the spectacle of my 20's, holding fast to the lessons I have learned and dive head first into whatever the future holds for me.

No, I'm not scared to turn 30...but 40, on the other hand, is a whole different story... ;)

4 comments:

Common Mom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

40 won't be so bad :-) My 39th is in a couple weeks . . . but my family has already reserved our cabin on a cruise from Alaska to Vancouver for July of 2012 when I'll celebrate my 40th with 2 awesome friends turning 40 and another turning 50 that summer. Enjoy 30, but I promise you'll also look forward to 40 when it rolls around :-)

Rachel said...

It wasn't the age thing so much that I dreaded about turning 30. I guess it's different to turn 30 when you are settled with a husband and children, than it is to turn 30 with no one to share it with. ;)
You still going skydiving??!?

Andrea said...

Yeah, baby! You said it so well about what you learn between 20 and 30. Being in my 30's has truly been the best years of my life so far.

And you're gonna ROCK IT too!!

Candygirlflies said...

My dear, I promise you-- my life feels like it BEGAN at 40!! We get older, yes-- but we also get wiser, and we learn to not worry so much about what other people think!!

"Time" is a man-made concept after all. Happy birthday!!! And every day thereafter.

xoxo CGF