Monday, September 19, 2011

I Got Ink'd

I know, I know...I have A LOT of updating of my blog to do, with all our recent changes and fun! :) But, I wanted to start with this, because it's still sore and at the forefront of my mind. ;)


Obviously it is still healing. The coloring is shades of purple, with a white center. The pink you think you're seeing...that's my skin irritated and yelling at me. ;)
 I have wanted a tattoo for as long as I can remember. I've always known that as soon as I was done having children, I would have daisies (five open and one closed) put on my back, for them.

But...

...tattoos hurt, ya know?! :) So, for my first tattoo, I decided not to go with something so big and so involved and get something a bit smaller. A purple, forget-me-not flower, on the inside of my left wrist. Beautiful and small... but still painful! ;) ...and I can still cover it with a watch, when I finally get to work as a nurse.

I didn't get this tattoo to fit in. I didn't get this tattoo to stand out.

I got this tattoo, because it encompasses so many things for me. I was given a pot of forget-me-not flowers at Mom Garrard's funeral. Purple is Mom Doyle's favorite color. I never want to forget my amazing 30th birthday and the fears I overcame. When looking up flowers and their symbolism, I loved the meaning and stories behind this flower: "The flower symbolism associated with the forget-me-not is true love and memories. In 15th century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of the flower would not be forgotten by their lovers. In a medieval legend, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not". It is also told in pious legend that the Christ child was sitting on Mary's lap one day and said that he wished that future generations could see them. He touched her eyes and then waved his hand over the ground and blue forget-me-nots appeared."

This tattoo represents 30 years of memories and people that I never want to forget. Each and every person and experience has helped me become the person I am, today. Thank you, to those who have played a role in my first 30 years. Every time I look down at my flower, I will think of you...and smile.

4 comments:

Our Family of Three said...

you are officially a bad ass ;) haha ok you always have been.. but you just validated it! haha i love the meaning for yours, and i love tattoos. it's beautiful!

Lacey Sue said...

Very beautiful!! Good pick for a first tat! I love it!

Andrea said...

It's beautiful - I love it!!

(sheesh, we sure know who got the BRAVERY in the 'family') ;)

Bethany said...

I love it!! I would love to get a tattoo, but I want it on my ankle and if I go back to teaching that would be hard. It sounds like this was an awesome/big birthday for you!!