Thursday, August 18, 2011

School Daze

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever."
 — Mahatma Gandhi

Well, this momma is registered for Fall semester. I remember the excitement of accepting my Associates degree...but that all means nothing if I don't continue on and obtain a higher degree.

My original plan of pursing a BS in Family, Consumer and Human Development (FCHD) was changed today, to a BS in Family Life Studies. Very similar, however the FCHD program is focused more on early childhood, where Family Life encompasses the lifespan. This will make more sense for me, working in the nursing field.

This fall I will be taking "Marriage and Family Relationships" and "Balancing Work and Family." Both of these make me laugh, because I feel like I'm going to be taking a class from a recent college grad, who is going to tell me how to live the life I'm living...

However, many of the other classes for the degree look really interesting. I'm looking forward to "Families and Cultural Diversity", "Family Finance", "Current Issues in Family Life Studies", "Family and Social Policy" and "Human Sexuality." It'll be exciting to participate in each of these classes and I'm curious to see what I will learn from each of these courses.

I will also spend the next many months stressing over nursing school applications and praying that my past efforts have been adequate enough to get me into a program for Fall 2012. I'm telling myself that if I don't make it, its for a good reason and I will just continue on with my BS degree, while I wait to apply again. Realistically, I know that deep down it will break my heart and I will take it like the rejection that it is.

If I do get accepted on the first go-round, I will graduate with an Associates of Science, classes towards my BS and an RN....plus 6+ years of school under my belt. If I don't get admitted and end up waiting two more years for Weber's next program, I will graduate with an Associates of Science, BS in Family Life Studies, my RN and be a Certified Family Life Educator...with 8+ years of schooling.

At that point, what's stopping me? Might as well become a Physician's Assistant, huh? What's another 2.5 years in school? ;)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Those classes actually all sound pretty interesting! I wish I had gone to university...I know I still could, but the problem is - I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up!!

Whitney said...

I know the inadequate feeling. I'm stressing over everything right now!! But we'll be applying the same semester I believe so we can go through it together!