Thursday, August 11, 2011

MY Life's Philosophy

What is your philosophy on life? Have you ever pondered that?

What. Is. Your. Philosophy?

What are your beliefs? What are your values? What are your views on life? They seem like simple questions, until you actually sit and think about it. How do you articulate your convictions, in a way that truly encapsulates who you are?

At the end of the day, I want my children to know who I am. One day they will read my writings and get a sense of the person that I was. I want them to know what I stood for and the kind of person I strived to be. Do I live each of my values, to its fullest, every day? Well, no. I'm human and I falter. I succumb to emotion over logic and I allow others to influence my decisions. However, the core of who I am, of who I want to be, can be explained in the following:

Embrace the Differences in Others
It is important to me to accept and love people for who they are, regardless of how their lives or choices may differ from my own. I strive to maintain a "live and let live" type of attitude and not judge others for the life they choose to maintain. I want to raise my children to love everyone, blind to their religion, race, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance or net worth. In return, I expect the same respect concerning my own life.

Work Hard
I believe in working hard for everything that I have. I don't expect handouts and I don't take shortcuts to achieve my goals. I got my first paying job at the age of 10, putting together the Sunday newspapers for a local convenience store. My first "actual" job, with a real paycheck (and the gov taking a chunk of it) at 14, was as a waitress in a small restaurant. I haven't been without a job...or two...or three...since then. I'm not rich and I probably never will be. However, I'm putting myself through school, while raising five kids and working full-time, for three reasons. First, I am showing my children that it is never too late, or impossible, to achieve your dreams. Secondly, once I graduate and become a nurse, I will have a career in a field that I am truly passionate about. Lastly, and the most personal, to prove to myself that I can do anything that I put my mind to.

Learn From My Mistakes and Forgive Myself
You heard it here first...I make mistakes. I'm not always right. (I didn't admit to ever being wrong...I'm just saying that I'm not always right. *giggle*) I can't beat myself up over poor choices and bad decisions. I must simply learn the lessons provided from them and move on. More importantly, I must forgive myself for them. I'm not always going to be perfect. I'm not always going to be proud of myself. Additionally, my views may change at a later time, shedding light on a particular situation, causing my understanding to change. This is part of the maturing process that happens as we experience life.

Share my Knowledge/Talents
I can't do everything on my own. I require the expertise and assistance of others, every single day. It's my responsibility then, to share my knowledge and talents, whenever possible. I enjoy volunteering my time to help another person. I love when people come to me with parenting or medical questions. It makes me happy to know that people trust me enough to ask my opinion on matters that I am enthusiastic about.

Question the Things I Don't Understand
I don't want to be a person that does what is expected, simply because it is mainstream. I want to make my choices based on what will make me truly happy and what is best for my family. A big part of this, is simply asking myself, "Why am I making this choice?" I don't ever want my answer to be, "Because I'm supposed to." I want to know that I am questioning anything I don't understand and making informed decisions. This also plays into general knowledge. I love learning new things and when something catches my interest, I enjoy seeking out information that helps me better grasp and understand it.

Be A Voice For Those That Don’t Have One
I am a huge advocate for the underdog. I always have been. I hate to see another person tormented or ridiculed. I hate to see another person put down or made to feel useless. I hate to see a person hurt or caused unnecessary pain. Life is hard enough, without people inflicting undue misery on others. I have used my blog in the past to write about some of these situations and I hope that something that I’ve written has touched the intended audience. Be aware of those around you. Your family. Your friends. Children in your life. Stand up for those, that for whatever reason, can’t stand up for themselves.

Find the Positive in the Negative
This is one that is newer to me and I’m really trying to work on. A great friend of mine explained this to me as realizing that negative things will happen in life; however, finding the positive in the negative situation helps you grow as a person. I need to focus less on the negative circumstances and concentrate more on believing that a positive outcome will arise from the struggle. I need to be grateful and recognize that my problem could be worse. Surrounding myself with people who are positive, loving and uplifting, will help me through anything life throws at me.

Be Open To New Experiences
“Never judge a book, by its cover.” I aim to live that way in regards to people and I embrace that thought process when it comes to opening myself up to new adventures. Sushi? Horseback riding? “Scary” social situations? Running? All things that I feared or thought I couldn’t do or assumed I wouldn’t like…yet I tried and I conquered. Now I believe in putting my fear and quick judgments aside, to allow myself to experience life. I’ve been exposed to so many wonderful things and people, since making this decision. Next on my list? Skydiving!!

Above all else…and the hardest to live…

Be True To Myself
This will forever be a work in progress, as I learn and grow as an adult. I accept where I have been. I love where I am. I am confident in where I’m going. That’s a pretty good start.

No comments: