Monday, July 18, 2011

Feel The Burn

Every summer I swear that I just want a nice base tan on my legs...and every year I burn the ever loving hell out of myself...

*sigh*

This year, somehow, Bay managed to touch my leg with her sunblocked hand and arm and left me quite the tan line. Once I got passed the first three days where I could hardly bare weight on my legs and threw up from the pain, I got quite the laughs...

See her hand and arm print? Her thumb is toward my inner calf, fingers point out and arm goes down my shin.

These pictures don't do the burn justice. My legs turned purple. PURPLE. I was hurting.
Thankfully, the kids' swimming lessons are over for the year, I really am rocking quite a nice tan now and I'm no longer in pain. After taking almost two weeks off from running, it felt really good to get back out on the road this morning. I easily ran 3.25 miles and could have gone further, but didn't want to push it too hard, after so much time off. I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow! I do know that my headaches and migraines picked up, as soon as I stopped running. I guess I need the endorphines and time out of the house to destress, as effective pain prevention.

During my time off, I watched a documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It was amazing! This man suffered from an auto-immune disease and was extremely obese. He decided to go on a strict juicing regimen for 60 days! Now, I'm not insane (nor could I ever do that!), but I was intrigued by being able to put so many fruits and vegetables into my body, in one sitting! Why not supplement my already basically healthy diet? So, with a blender and some creativity, I've drank these in the past few days:

Apple, banana, strawberry, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, spinach and kale.


Apple, banana, pear, spinach, kale, mustard greens and flaxseed oil.
Despite the repulsive color, the first one was actually the better tasting of the two. I never could have eaten as much as I drank, so I'll definitely be keeping this up. So far, my tummy is trying to figure out what in the world I am doing to it, but I know that if I stick with it, I will be feeling great!

I had the kids try some of it and they even love it! Most of them even still liked it after I told them what was in it... :) I encourage you to try it! Even if you don't add the veggies, the blended fruits are really good and amazingly good for you.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Uh...you EASILY ran 3.25 miles after taking 2 weeks off? Girl, I haven't EASILY ran 3 miles in a long time with just one week breaks in between.

Seriously - you ROCK!! And I totally wanna be like you when I grow up. I think I'm technically the older 'sister' (right?)...but I feel like the little sister who wants to be just like big sis. :)

Whitney said...

So where'd you get your juicer? :)

Leeann said...

Actually, I just use a blender. No waste and much easier clean up! :)