Sunday, May 22, 2011

10K, Here I Come!

One week of my ten week training done and I'm...trying to be hopeful. :) I really, really want to do a 10K in October and with so many weeks to train for it, I have no excuses.

I've done what feels like a billion 5K's, but I've never done a 10K. See...want to know a little secret?

I'm a horrible runner.

I'm not any good at it. I actually kind of hate it...because I'm not naturally good at it. I have to kill myself, for every milestone. But what good is it, to excel at something that you are naturally good at? I want to push myself to overcome and make myself great at something that I had to work for. That's something to be proud of.

Yesterday, I had a crazy, busy day with Luke's birthday party. I had a lot of preparation to do, a lot on my plate, a lot going on in my head...the last thing I wanted to do by 8:30 pm, was go run. My mind felt heavy, my body felt heavy, my feet felt heavy...but, I knew that this was the day that would make or break me.

Going to run on days that I am motivated to go, is easy. Going to run on a day when all I wanted to do was lay on the couch, with a bowl of popcorn, is not easy. However, if I go, it proves to myself that I can overcome all the voices in my head that tell me that I can't do it.

So...I ran...

...and shaved 10 seconds off my mile from the previous night. I had already shaved 7 seconds off the night before, so that was a 17 second improvement in two days.

*pats self on back*

I entered the track with a heavy mind, heavy body and heavy feet...but, when I left, my heart was light.


1 comment:

Andrea said...

You go, girl! Those are some serious seconds you are shaving off your time!

And you are so right, by the way...I should've gone for a run tonight, for example. But didn't. So good on you for going after a busy, busy day.

Have fun (?) continuing your training!