Friday, February 25, 2011

Then I Really Might Know What It's Like

I wish it were really possible to "walk a mile in some one's shoes."

I would love the opportunity to see things from a different perspective, at times. 

I try very, very hard to be a non-judgemental person. I'm not perfect and I don't always succeed...but, it is very important to me. It's important to me that I live my life that way and important that I become that role model for my children. I want them to live in a home where they are shown that love and acceptance for everyone, is the appropriate attitude.

It's hard when not everyone feels that way. Perhaps if I were able to "walk a mile in their shoes", I could see why. I could begin to understand what makes them act a certain way...so that I know the best way to react to it.

Is it fear? Is that why people respond with negativity to certain obstacles or situations? Because they fear that, which they don't understand?

I don't understand how responding with negativity, or the with drawl of love, makes the situation any better. Love isn't accepting a person only when they fit your standards. Love is accepting them, through all the choices that they may make. Even if you don't agree with them.

2 comments:

bequi said...

This is hard in my family. I have 1 sister in particular who is VERY unaccepting of anything outside her comfort zones, and that includes our other siblings. When one sister was going through a... I guess you could call it a "stage" where she thought she was a lesbian, our older sister wouldn't let her be alone around her kids. When our brother had blue hair and facial piercings, it was the same story. I don't get it, because our parents are VERY accepting people.

bettyl said...

Great post. It's not an easy world to live in with all the negativity that abounds. I try to be positive with comments and take the world in stride and I truly don't understand those who don't.