Thursday, February 3, 2011

Inevitable

Inevitable: in·ev·i·ta·ble [in-ev-i-tuh-buhl] –adjective
1. unable to be avoided, evaded, or escaped; certain; necessary
2. sure to occur, happen, or come; unalterable

Certain things in life are inevitable. The sun will rise each morning and set each night. Children will get sick (especially the night before leaving on vacation or the morning you cannot miss work.) Pets will die. Cars will break down. There will be times that you will get stressed out.

And...one day...one of these cute little faces...will probably disappoint me.


That breaks my heart to think about...but I know it's true.

I know that as perfect as I am some of the choices in my life have probably disappointed my parents, but guess what? It's my life. I'm an adult and I have to live to make myself happy...no one else.

I have to make sure that as my child grow up and mature, that I afford them the same rights, that I expect for myself. Maybe they will choose not to go to college, even though they know how important I think it is. They may choose a spouse that I think isn't "good enough" for them. (Let's be honest...who is ever going to be good enough for one of MY babies?!) ;) They may even choose a lifestyle that will make their life more difficult than necessary. (Like...being a vegan!!) ;)

I hope I can remember that that's when I will need to step back and realize that I did an awesome job, as their parent. I raised a child so smart that they were able to identify what makes them happy, so that they could live their life in such a way that they are content. I raised a child so confident in themselves, that they were willing to stand up for what they want. Stand up, even...*GASP!*...to me.

At the end of the day, isn't that my job, as their parent? To raise them to become self-reliant, strong, courageous, kind, accepting people?

Why in the world would I raise them to be a certain way...and then berate them for living the way I taught them? Wouldn't I essentially, just be telling them that I raised them incorrectly and that I am at fault?

Things that make you go, "Hmmm...."

No comments: