Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm Creating The World

Do you ever wonder if you make a difference? I want to make a difference.

I don't want to just exist. (Although I'm pretty sure my kids are convinced that I exist just to make food and clean up after them...)

But, I digress.

I don't want to just endure my days. I want to LIVE. I want to change the world. I want to matter. I want to have altered someone's life, for the better. I want to know that I was someone, that somebody else counted on. I want to know that I changed someone's life.

Perhaps this is what fuels my desire to become a nurse. (Other than the idea of being able to hold newborn babies all the time!!) I have this innate desire to care for others, especially during those moments in their life, when great, overwhelming change is occurring.

Conceivably, it's because when I look back at my life, I've had people like that around me. During times of great stress and change, I've been lucky enough to be surrounded by people who carried me and lifted me up. The amazing thing is...most of the time...they didn't even know they were doing it. They weren't aware that I was watching them and learning from them.

That leaves me pondering...maybe I am making a difference and I'm not even aware of it. Maybe someone is watching how I handle things and learning from my example. Maybe how I react to life's situations and life's trials, is right now guiding someone else's reactions. Probably most importantly, how I treat others...could be setting an example for what I feel is acceptable behavior.

I hope that I am making a difference. I hope that it is a positive one. One day my children...and their children...will be adults in the world, that I have created.


1 comment:

McKell Anderson said...

Great post! You are most definitely making a difference. :)