Monday, January 24, 2011

Never Grow Up?


Dear Munchkins of Mine,

Mommy loves you. So much in fact, there is nothing in this world that I wouldn't deny you, or do for you. Everything I do, every single day, is to make your lives better. I work hard, to provide you with necessary things and a few fun times, now and then. I go to school, to show you that hard work and perseverance can get you get you where you want to be, in this life. I discipline you, to teach you that respect must be shown to others and to help keep you safe.

I understand the point behind this song...I really do. I look at your baby pictures and I look at each of you now and I want time to slow down. Hours melt into days, days melt into weeks, weeks melt into months and months have melted into years. I feel time running away from me. I see each of you blossoming into little people, who every day, need me just a little bit less.

However, isn't that a good thing? Doesn't your independence mean that I'm doing my job, as your parent? It means that I'm showing you how to be self reliant and responsible, so that one day you will be able to care for yourself and be a productive, happy member of society.

Like I said, I really do understand the point behind this song...and it's cute. However, it made me think. Even if I could block you from all of the hurt in the world and all of the negative experiences...would I? I don't think I would.

Having regrets means that you've learned a lesson, because of choices that you've made. I wouldn't want to take that away from you. One day, inevitably, someone is going to break your heart. It will be the worst pain that you will have ever felt and I will be waiting with open arms, for you to cry on my shoulder. But, this broken heart will serve a purpose later, when you fall in love. It will show you how sweet love can be. Much like a rainbow, after a storm, you cannot fully appreciate the beauty, without having first experienced the darkness. Being scarred by someone, isn't a bad thing, in hindsight. First of all, it serves as a reminder of how strong you are. Secondly, when a "scar" forms, that area is stronger than it was before. You are made tougher, by the trials you endure.

Everything that you are now, will never be gone. It is forever ingrained in you and who you are becoming. Just like your Daddy's freckles and your Grandma's laugh and my eyes...you will take your memories and your experiences of your childhood...into adulthood. Always remember how much I love you and even as you get older and...someday...    *gasp!*...fly out into that big 'ole world on your own, I am only a phone call away. I come running for skinned knees and bruises, now...and I'll come running for broken hearts and bad days, then.

Don't be afraid to grow up, my loves. There are far more wonderful things to experience in this world...than there are, to be intimidated by. There are also many wonderful, amazing people, to help you along your journey. Embrace growing up...just please...don't do it too fast. :)

Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

could NOT have put it better myself!

Whitney said...

I know what you mean. I realized today that Carver will enter nursery the same month Everett will turn 3. Yeah, they are still little but they are starting to get past the constant care stage. I miss my babies but I'm excited to see them grow and learn and become their own individuals.