Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What Can Go Wrong...

...will go wrong.

Monday morning I checked into the hospital for a routine in/out surgery. Due to issues I've been having, I was having an endometrial ablation done, in an attempt to fix them.

Well, the very first, uncommon risk listed, for this surgery, is "Accidental puncture (perforation) of the uterus. " Wouldn't ya know...it happened to me.

I was having panic attacks all day, on Sunday. Everyone laughed at me and told me I had nothing to worry about. I didn't know what my issue was...I've had plenty of surgeries before and I knew what to expect.

Monday morning, Josh dropped me off at the hospital and my friend Nikki met me there. We couldn't find anyone that could watch the kids, so Nikki was going to be with me and then drive me home. We had fun convincing the nurses that we were sisters, (one nurse even said, "I can see the similarities!") and laughing at the pants they gave me, that could have fit both of us, at the same time.

After a couple hours, they took me back and the last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist asking me if I was feeling the medication yet. I woke up, hearing the nurse say my name and feeling myself be extubated. Ouch! My poor throat got scratched!

They brought me back to recovery and Nikki hung out with me, while I apparently kept repeating myself, over and over. :) She asked me if the doctor talked to me yet and I told her no. Something triggered in my drugged mind that something was wrong, but I let it go. I had noticed that my 45 minute surgery ended up taking close to 2 hours, but I wasn't awake enough to ask why, yet.

About an hour later, Nikki decided I was awake enough to tell me. First, she told me that she's already notified Josh and he was on his way in. Then, she told me that my doctor came out after my surgery and pulled her into a conference room. He explained that my uterus is tipped forward and was unexpectedly rigid. When they inserted the NovaSure instrument, instead of following the natural curve of the inside of my uterus, it perforated the posterior side. They had to abort the procedure, because the risk of damaging my other organs was too great. They watched me for the next few hours, to be sure that there was no internal bleeding.

When my doctor came in, he explained it in greater detail and explained my options. We needed to allow my body to heal for a couple weeks, but then we had two choices. We could attempt the ablation again, but this time after taking some medication the night before, to help soften my cervix. However, he warned that because of the angle of my uterus and the fact that it had been perforated before, the chance of it happening again, was high. The other option was a hysterectomy. He would be leaving my ovaries, negating my need for hormone replacement therapy, but this would for sure solve my issues that drove me to the surgery, in the first place.

So, after discussing it with Josh and doing a little research, it looks like I'll be planning a hysterectomy. I still have a lot of questions for my doctor and I'm incredibly nervous and scared, but I think the benefits outweigh the costs.

I've come to the conclusion that my life can't ever be smooth sailing and without stress. But...I just have to be thankful that this is happening after we had already decided that our family is complete. I'm thankful that I was able to carry and deliver five beautiful, perfect children. I can't ask for more, than that.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm sorry you had complications and I hope that you will be feeling better soon. I will be thinking about you. I love ya!

Pam said...

I'm sorry things didn't go as smoothly as they should have- complications are not fun in any situation. I hope you are healing and feeling better. I'll be praying for you and smooth sailing for the next surgery.

Lacey Sue said...

Just glad your doing okay now! It really upset me to hear you would have to have a hysterectomy! But, I too, am glad you guys had already made the decision that your cute family was full and complete (that takes some of the anger for me away that you have to have one..I know...it's weird that I am the one that's all pissed off about it...but oh well). Glad Chad could help! Your in my prayers!!

Sharon said...

I have been worrying about you and praying. Thanks for posting some updates, since we who don't know you outside the blogosphere were wondering what the heck was going on! I will keep you and your family in my prayers! Good luck with everything and stay positive! We love you!

Andrea said...

Yeesh! I'm glad you are okay even though the surgery didn't go as planned. And yes, I'm SO glad that your family is complete BEFORE the need to do a hysterectomy. You are a brave, strong woman my friend. You will do great with the next surgery!