Saturday, May 8, 2010

I will ALWAYS run in CELEBRATION of you.

We knew today would be hard. The first Susan G. Komen 5k, without Mom. It was strange...she's always been there with us. Whether she was walking, or in a wheelchair...she was with us.

Not too surprisingly...she was with us today, too. Call me crazy, but the last mile of the race, I could feel her there. That doesn't shock me at all...we always crossed the finish line holding hands. It was a comforting feeling and made my day so much easier.

I made signs, that each of us wore on our backs. I watched people read them and I stood taller, knowing that I was representing Mom. I had promised Mom a couple years back, that I would always run in CELEBRATION of her...never in MEMORY. I want to celebrate all that she was and all that she gave us...not dwell on her being gone.

Being in that crowd was amazing. Knowing that everyone in that crowd has some idea of the feelings were were having or have had, is comforting. I hate that anyone has to know the pain of losing a loved one to cancer, but I love knowing that we can all come together and show support for those still fighting. I know how proudly Mom wore her "survivor" shirt and seeing other women wearing one, was wonderful.


Before the race

My friend, Michele (on the left) was also walking for her Mom, who just finished her cancer treatments a few weeks ago. I wish her mom all the best and pray that she goes into remission.
The sheer volume of people that turn out for the 5k, never ceases to amaze me. The streets were flooded with people proudly wearing pink. The crowd extends up the road as far as you can see, and this was also the view behind us. Thousands and thousands of people turn out for this amazing event. After the race

The first year of participating in the walk, without Mom, has now passed. Many, many, many more years are to come. I will forever walk in Mom's name and in CELEBRATION of the beautiful legacy that she left behind.

3 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

What an amazing experience, I don't doubt in the least that she crossed that finish line hand in hand with you! I am thrilled you continue to walk in "Celebration" and keep her memory alive and vibrant! What an amazing person she was and is. I miss her.

Michele B. said...

What an amazing experience and thank you for letting me be part of this day with you. It am sure she was with you celebrating that day as you crossed that finish line :)..and I know you will always celebrate her memory everyday :)

Erin said...

i am sure she was with you every step of the way. how awesome that you and your family still do this! and I love how you put it...in celebration.