Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sometimes...You Just Have To Listen

I totally got put in my place the other day. It doesn't shock me that it was Avery that did it...anyone who knows this girl, knows how she is. She is never afraid to speak her mind...and while that can drive me nuts, it's also one of my most favorite qualities about her.

Avery: "Momma? Do some Mommies and Daddies play with their kids?"
Me: "Yes..." *confused*
Avery: "How come you don't play with me?"
Me: "I do! Don't you rememer that we played Candyland and Chutes and Ladders yesterday?"
Avery: "Yeah...but I really want to play babies."

I won't lie...I almost burst into tears. I try so hard to be everything to everyone and although I'm sure she didn't mean it that way...I felt like a failure at motherhood.

It's not often that I can have one on one play time with them. Typically playtime includes a large chunk, if not all of them, because that's what I have time for. Playing games, playing Wii, baking cookies, playing at the park, doing arts and crafts...it's just how I've done things. I plan these times and projects, like I do everything else in my life. With a timeline and precision.

But, here was my 5 year old reminding me that sometimes, she just wants something as simple and basic as me sitting on the floor...holding her dolls.

Don't worry, baby girl...Mommy's listening. Let's go play.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Hello, its Angie (Garn) Smith! I have been following your blog for quite awhile . I usually check out Emily's then on to yours. I just wanted to say that I think your an amazing mom, I only have one son and it is hard for me to keep up. When I read your blog I am in amazement at everything you do!!

mickey said...

i hear you. i often wonder how much i am missing out too. i want to do this too, simply "play" and not be so mommish all the time. thanks for the post.

suebug said...

The past few months I have felt like the "most lame Mom" in the world. Not being able to play with your kids, worse, not WANTING (due to illness, fatigue whatever) to play with them ends up making your guilt levels rise dramatically!! So glad you have a mouthy girl (I gotta love that about her!) that tells you how it is!