Friday, February 12, 2010

Don't You Know What Causes That?

Even in Utah, I get looks from strangers, at the size of my family. If they dare to ask how old all of the kids are...their eyes get even wider.

"Don't you know what causes that?"
-Why yes, I'm actually quite educated and I'm aware of how babies are made.

"Why did you have them so close together?"
-Well, it's what worked best for my husband and I...thank you, for your concern!

"Isn't it hard?"
-Absolutely. Most things worth doing, are.

"How do you do it?"
-Lots of duct tape and alcohol. Don't worry, we don't let the kids drink. Much.

"Are you done?"
-Well, you know, I hadn't run my family planning by you yet, so I wasn't sure...what do you think?

Don't worry, I don't actually get snippy with anyone. But, I won't lie...sometimes people's comments irk me.

I love my family. I love the legacy that Josh and I have created. It is a lot to handle and sometimes we feel overwhelmed, but even at our lowest points, we would never change what we have. We have been through a lot together. We already have so many memories. Happy memories. Sad memories. Good memories. Bad memories. Many more memories to come.

I don't ever feel like I'm restricting my kids, because we have such a large family. We may not be able to go on grand vacations to European countries, but I love making s'mores around a campfire and getting the sticky kisses after. We may not own a luxurious house, but we own a loving home, that my children feel comfortable and safe in. We may not do private schools, own fancy cars, have massive trust funds set up, or have the typical 1.8 children...

...but we have love, laughter, joy, excitement, surprises and hope...times FIVE.

Plus, knowing that no matter how much they fight...deep down...they really do care about each other. They laugh, more than they cry. They giggle, more than they argue. They play, more than they fight. They love...and that means I've done my job.







10 comments:

Whitney said...

People need to leave you be!!! Those kids are so cute together! Seriously, you ought to say something to the next person that says something because it's none of their business.

Chris, Emily and Ryker Allen said...

I just want you to know I adore you and your family. I check your blog almost daily and you truly inspire me. I think you and Josh are GREAT parents. I say you guys should have more babies!

Andrea said...

Preach it, sista'! :)

I have friends who struggle with it from the other angle too...when they choose to have only one child, they get comments like, "Oh, so-and-so NEEDS a sibling" and stuff like that.

Why can't people just leave that decision up to each set of parents????

Amy said...

Great post. I have a blended family, and I love to "shock" people by telling them I have 5, and my oldest is 29. :) Since I'm 40........... well, you can do the math. I love my kiddos, blended or not. And everything times 5 is always an adventure. Love all of your pictures.

Melessa said...

So much for my 'move to Utah so people will leave me alone about the size of my family' plan. As you know, I also have 5. And while I shouldn't do this, I have been known to effect a smug smile at some of my critics and say "Well it's not for everyone." As if I am somehow better than them for having so many children. I enjoy this way more than I should and it irritates its intended audience just the way I am hoping it will. ;)

Lauren said...

Gawd, the ignorance and small-mindedness of people irritate me! Look at the faces of those kids and those beautiful smiles! THAT should answer every stupid question those people are thinking up and preparing to ask...

And those pictures make me want to have a whole bunch more kids, btw. Especially the last one. My little girl is all of a sudden a cuddle bug, I think she would ADORE a little sibling!

Bethany said...

Precious blessings of yours! Gorgeous pics of your sweet kiddos!

mickey said...

seriously. they are just jealous. period. simple. get over people, she has a great family, and while you all may not, get over it!

Anonymous said...

Damn I was going to buy a new Hummer in late 2012 and drive around the country for a vacation, Now I am going to have to shave my head and join the Hari.s, Muslims, Jews, Jehovah s, Mormons, Christians, and a few other wing nut groups just to cover all my bases.
[url=http://2012earth.net/global_economic_crisis_2012.html
]harmonic convergence and 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

bequi said...

I hate people who ask that first question. I plan on saying, "No! Can you tell me, because I can't make it stop!"