Saturday, November 14, 2009

There's A Fungus, Among Us!!

As one of my labs in microbiology, we got to take some blood agar home. We had to touch it to any surface and then watch and see what grew over the next 48 hours. I was excited to do this...not too excited to see the results! Eww!

1. Josh's Tongue - Yup, he was brave enough to stick his tongue out and let me touch it. I've always heard that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human mouth. I wanted to know if it was true!

2. Shylo's Tongue - I don't know...kind of seems like a tie. So, either my husband has an extra clean mouth or my dog has an extra dirty one.

3. Front Door Handle - This disgusts me. I am constantly Lysoling or Clorox wiping my door handles and light switches...not that you can tell. Gag.

4. Fridge Door Handle - A fungus. That's right...there is fungus. (That hairball looking thing on the bottom, left side.) Again, I use a lot of Clorox wipes in the kitchen. Gag. My professor tried to calm me down and tell me that fungus is normal and we are breathing it in all the time. He also pointed out that Clorox wipes actually have no bleach in them. Seriously? I just assumed... Guess I'm going back to Clorox spray.

5. Highchair Tray - I want to defend myself first by saying that I took the sample before I cleaned it. This was right after she ate. However, it's still disgusting! Again, my professor tried to make me feel better and told me that this is normal and this is how babies build their immunities. But still...eww. I'll be running the tray through the dishwasher from now on.


11 comments:

suebug said...

Oh.My.vomit...I need to live in a freaking bubble apparently..I don't know ANYONE who cleans/lysols/clorox's their house like you do...ugh!

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh! Well, that's definitely eye opening. Ew! Kind of a cool experience, though!

Anonymous said...

Where are you going to school?

Leeann said...

Who are you and maybe I'll answer that question...?

Anonymous said...

I am a nurse, and I just began teaching a CNA class. Your blog came up one day during a google search and I have been following it for about 3 months. :) I don't have a google account yet, so no "identity". I"m really not a creeper, as my daughter would say. Just really enjoy your blog, and was curious where you are going to school. I have a few friends in Tooele.

Andrea said...

GROSS!! I need to start disinfecting more things around my house, that's for sure!!!!

Leeann said...

Ahhh. Okay. :) I seem to have a few blurkers. I attend USU. What area of nursing are you in?

Amy said...

Ok,formally Anonymous now has a Google Account.

I have worked in postpartum, hospice, and now am a public health nurse. Oh, and I also teach a high school CNA class.

I really enjoy your blog. The CNA pics are what originally caught my eye. Looks like you had a great time. I have never taught high school kiddos before, and I am really enjoying it, but would love any advice anyone has.

Amy said...

Oops - meant to say/type formerly.

Leeann said...

That's awesome! L&D is where my heart is...if I ever graduate, that is! :)
I loved my CNA class. It was fast paced (thank goodness because I think that 95% of it is common sense) and we had a great time laughing.
We were all working adults, so teaching high school kids will obviously be a little different. But, I would just make sure you keep them involved and make it hands on whenever possible. They don't need another class that they sit, read and listen to a lecture.
Good luck!

common mom said...

Not something I would do . . . I "know" there's stuff in my house - everywhere, but I don't want to see it . . . I'll keep living my delusional little "clean house" life :-)