Thursday, July 23, 2009

It Has Finally Happened

I'm speechless.
It is hard enough to grow up in the world as a girl. We are our own worst critics when it comes to how we look. It's hard to find a woman that is completely happy with their own body image.
As I watch Toddlers & Tiaras, I am floored with how some mothers talk to or about their daughters.
I won't get into my views on pageants...I have them...but I won't get into them. My problem isn't so much with the pageants, as it is with the parents. I'm really hoping that not all "pageant moms" are this way and that TLC just likes showing the "drama."
I watched an episode that included a mom with five daughters. Her oldest daughters were twins and the way she treated one of the twins made me want to cry. She openly discussed how one twin was "the prettiest out of all of them" and "looked just like mommy". As if that wasn't enough, she went even further by saying that the other twin had a big nose and was skinny and awkward looking.
When they interviewed this poor little girl, you could just see the defeat on her face. She didn't look happy and she never smiled. She made me want to gather her in my arms, pull her in my lap and try to make her laugh.
Why, oh why, would a mother encourage poor body image in her child? It seems to me that it's simple common sense to want to foster a high self worth in our children...not push them down, so that they feel inferior.
Eating disorders. Self mutilation. Depression. Suicide. Among a list of other "side effects", that could occur because of the parenting I've seen on this show.
I want my daughters to always know how beautiful they are inside AND out. I love each of them for their differences and I would never compare them to each other.
The world will be hard enough on them. They should always know that I am here to build them up...not break them down.

6 comments:

Chris, Emily and Ryker Allen said...

I seen that episode too and I cried also. I felt so bad for the little girl. The mom is just a B***H!

Pam said...

Amen! I won't watch that show- I refuse to turn it on. I like TLC but think that some of the shows they put on are trash.

Bethany said...

I've never seen the show, but one of my friends was commenting on the exact same thing while watching. I can't imagine. It reminds me of a family I know with six children, the five oldest boys. The parents are going through a custody battle and the mom only wants the youngest two-- I cannot imagine explicitly telling three of your older children you don't want them or they are not pretty enough-- horrid.

Tinabean said...

I agree.
I've seen the show a few times the parents make me sick.
The world is to hard on them at such an earlier age than we were & for parents to add to it just doesn't seem right.
I can't imagine comparing & putting down my kids they are so individualy wonderful.

bequi said...

It's crazy to me that people like this whose child abuse is being broadcast on national television get to keep their kids, but parents who let their kids stay home alone after school are called "neglectful."

Andrea said...

Okay, so you're really not speachless. :)

Seriously though...I totally agree with you. I can hardly stand to watch the commercials of that show, it is really heart-breaking.