Friday, June 12, 2009

Science Isn't Always Perfect - But She Is

I love when my writing assignments for school are not just research papers, but can be about something personal to us. When I'm allowed "free reign" of my subject, I feel that the paper really comes out better. Basically, I want to be allowed to blog...while throwing in the necessary research!

The paper due today had to be on something personal in our world, in which science played a part. I knew exactly what I would write about...Presley! I can go on and on about my kids, so I knew that the paper would be easy to write.

I was plugging away at it and almost done with my two pages. Then I realized that the assignment was for a one page paper! Whoops. I know that he deducts points if you go too far over, so I had to condense it down. So, it's not exactly as I would like, but it will hopefully get me another A!

Science Isn’t Always Perfect - But She Is

Pregnancy and I, don’t get along. It’s amazing that I have five healthy children, considering how awful I am at incubating them for 40 weeks. I had preterm labor with every single pregnancy and anyone that has dealt with preterm labor knows how extraordinary a role science played in their pregnancy. Of course, pregnancy is a science in and of itself, but when you are relying on the medical knowledge of doctors to save your baby, it really hits home. When I became pregnant with my last daughter, Presley, I had high hopes that I would finally get an easy pregnancy. Her pregnancy occurred directly after a miscarriage, so I had hoped that I had “paid my dues” and was owed a smooth-sailing 40 weeks. However, at 29 weeks 5 days along, all hope was dashed. I began contracting regularly that day and when it was determined that I was dilating, my doctor started running the usual tests. I had been this route before and pretty much knew what to expect, until they ran a new test on me.

The fetal fibronectin test is something that wasn’t routine for moms exhibiting premature labor symptoms, in my previous pregnancies. “Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is a protein produced during pregnancy and functions as a biological glue, attaching the fetal sac to the uterine lining…the presence of fFN during weeks 24-34 of a high-risk pregnancy, along with symptoms of labor, suggests that the "glue" may be disintegrating ahead of schedule and alerts doctors to a possibility of preterm delivery.” (www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1149.asp)

When my test that day came back negative, I was ecstatic. I was told that the results of the tests weren’t perfect, but that a negative result was more helpful, than a positive result. “A negative result on the fFN test means it's highly unlikely that you'll give birth in the next week or two, which can set your mind at ease and allow your practitioner to hold off on treatments that may prove to be unnecessary.” (http://www.babycenter.com/0_preterm-labor-test-fetal-fibronectin_1511.bc)

After going home, with orders of bed rest and anti-labor drugs, things calmed down until I hit 31 weeks 1 day. That evening, I began contracting and dilating again. This time, after they ran the fFN test, it came back positive, indicating that it was much more possible that I would be delivering in the next two weeks.

Presley, being possibly the first female in the world to show up “on time”, arrived exactly two weeks later. Born at 33 weeks 1 day, she was incredibly healthy for a preemie and after only nine days in the NICU, came home. She is now six months old and is absolutely perfect.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Love it! And I already know you got an A!

Shellie said...

I'd give you an A.

bequi said...

That's really awesome. I had no idea they had a test like that!