Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's A Tough Job...But Someone's Gotta Do It

I read on another website today about a Mom who was ashamed and embarrassed to admit that she is a stay at home mom. She felt useless and like she wasn't doing much with her life.

It made me kind of sad that someone would feel that way about motherhood. Useless? Oh boy, I wish I could feel useless for ten minutes! My problem is that I'm so darn usefull that I'm never left alone! :)

I got thinking about the many facets of motherhood and how many "titles" I actually hold. I'm not "just a mom", I'm a(n):

-Doctor. I'm the keeper of the band-aids and can diagnose any rash/cough/fever with a 95% correct accuracy rate.
-Taxi Driver. I easily navigate the county to be sure that children are dropped off at the appropriate place, at the appropriate time. (Most of the time. There have been some delays and/or errors...but I can usually find a way to blame those entirely on someone else.)
-Chef. It's amazing what I can throw together from a few ingredients. It takes some creativity and my children have learned to live with love the recipes I have come up with.
-Artist. I have come up with some pretty ingenious ways to hide the marker/pen/crayon marks on my walls that just will not come off.
-Maid. It's amazing what I can accomplish with 30 minutes and Windex.
-Referee. I have the important calls down - "Illegal use of hands!" (aka "Stop hitting your sister!), "Time Out!" (aka "Go to your room!"), "Unsportsmanlike conduct!" (aka "Stop calling her a poopie head!") and "Illegal crack!" (aka "Please go put on clothes! I'm tired of seeing your naked bum!").
-Teacher. How else am I going to get a break around here, unless I teach them how to do all my jobs?
-Criminal Investigator. It doesn't take me long to determine "whodunit". Sometimes, I'm so on the ball, I know a crime is going to happen even before it occurs.
-Interrogator. Using my "evil eye" I can easily break any minor subject and get the truth out of them.
-Judge and Jury. I must determine and dole out the punishment that fits the crime.
-Magician. I have perfected the art of multi-tasking, to the point that most people just stare in disbelief.
-Beautician. I have mastered the up-do, curly-do, straight-do and "come here and we'll get the gum out of your hair"-do.
-Teddy Bear. I am available for hugs and cuddles 24/7/365.

In short, there isn't much that I don't do. I'm definitely not ashamed or embarrassed of my title as "Mom". It's a tough job...but I wouldn't have it any other way.

9 comments:

Shellie said...

Me either! I'm embarrassed I don't do it better, but I'm doing the best I can, so that's that. Being a mom is awesome!

Pam said...

I'm not embarrassed I am a mom- just that I am not a better mom. I am sorry that someone feels embarrassed to be home with her kids- I love summer and the time it gives me with my kids. I cry evey August when I have to leave them again.

Just Us said...

i love the 'illegal crack' bit... toooo funny! i admit that i have felt a little embarassed about my title from time to time... not because i don't feel like i'm doing enough but because of the stereotypes out there about what sahm's do all day - like eat bon-bons and sit on the couch all day. my husband teases me about that, i just tell him that if i really had time to sit around and do that, i just might not be as cranky as i usually am :)

suebug said...

OH I SOOOOO agree with this one...we are also
Accountants, therapists, fortune tellers, grocers, etc... the list is endless...I stand up and say "I am PROUD to be a SAHM!"!!!

Stacy said...

Aww! I love it!

bequi said...

You know, if you correctly calculate how much life insurance a working father is good for, vs a stay-at-home mom, they usually insure the mom for several times the dad. Why? Because the dad would have to pay for day care, maid service, cooking, and all the other millions of jobs we do. What a poor lady. She must be under-appreciated.

Andrea said...

Love, LOVE, L-O-V-E that post!!

common mom said...

I agree with you, but I also see where the other person is coming from. After I got laid off, it was difficult for me to say that I didn't work outside the home. I have no idea why! I had found my happy place working 30 hours per week - enough time at work, enough extra income, enough adult conversation during weeks when Hubby was gone flying, and great time with my kiddos before and after work and school.

I was SAHM for 3 months before I found another wonderful part-time gig - I liked my time at home, but it was more of a novelty to me because I'd never had it. I was happy to go back to work part-time. I'm just one of those people that needs to work outside the home, for whatever reason. Some people have what I call "the gift of mother" - they can be a mom 24/7 and love every minute of it. I love being a mom, but I also like having a job outside the home.

I'm a great mother, but I'm an even BETTER mother when I get out of the house some of the time to work and use my brain in different ways.

We're all different in what we need - and ultimately we all serve all the mommy roles.

Blah blah blah - sorry for the rambling :-)

Leeann said...

Oh, I totally get it. I understand that some woman like working out of the home...if I didn't get that, I wouldn't be going to school so I could one day remove myself from this utter chaos...but, I digress....
LOL