Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Smoking Is Bad

It is especially not a good thing when it is your laptop that is smoking!
Last night I got home from soccer practice and started up my laptop to begin work. I all of a sudden noticed a smell like something was burning. I flipped my laptop over to give it a sniff...and out of the back vent was a steady stream of smoke. It scared the crap out of me! I didn't know if it was going to burst into flames, or what! I quickly unplugged it and shut it off. I waited a few minutes and turned it on again, while it wasn't plugged in. Instantly, the burning smell appeared again.
Anyone that reads my blog consistently knows the hell I've gone through with this Dell laptop. I couldn't believe right after I dropped $180 on a new battery and charge cord...it was doing this to me.
So, I called Dell and after being on hold for 10 minutes...being transferred to someone else...being on hold for 45 minutes while she ran to her manager because she didn't know what the hell to do when I told her that my computer almost started a fire "processed" my information and she comes back with, "Ma'am are you aware your warranty expired in July of 2008?"
"Well, yes I am, however I do not think that a computer almost starting a fire is normal, do you?"
"No ma'am...I just wanted to let you know. Let me "process" this..."
In the end...Dell agreed that this wasn't normal and was probably worried I'd sue them so they agreed to send me *drum roll, please!* a brand new laptop. If my laptop isn't available, there will be a free upgrade. (Damn right there will...6 power cords, 2 batteries, 2 CD drives and 3 motherboards later...I deserve one!)
Until then, my desktop and I are being reacquainted. It'll work for now.
It'll have to.
When will I get my new laptop?
7-21 days
Yikes.
(But it's freeeeeeeee!)

4 comments:

Laura said...

I absolutely hate Dell. I have yet to have a good experience with them. I've had three Dells in a row, and the second two only because they were given to me as gifts, so I wasn't going to complain. I will NEVER purchase another Dell with my own money ever again! I am just praying my current Dell lasts until I am finished with school when I can afford to buy another one!

Whitney said...

You should get a Vaio. I loved mine... we only sold it because when we got married Chris had an old pc and I had my Vaio... no need for two computers. We traded in for a hi-def Hewitt Packard widescreen with Windows Vista. Way too nice for our everyday use, but hey... our computers paid for it!!!

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, how crazy!! I'm glad they are giving you a free one...I've owned a couple of Dells and have had good experiences but lots of my friends seem to want to boycott the company...of course, when your computer is about on fire, I understand why! ;)

common mom said...

Holy Smokes! (sorry, I couldn't resist!) I got stuck in Dell Hell today as well (and posted about it).

I love love love MY Dell laptop and have had no problems with it. I'd order from Delloutlet again anytime.

And YAY for you on the FREE upgrade! You totally deserve it . . . I hope you don't have to wait until June to get it :-)