Thursday, April 9, 2009

Searching Online For Chastity Belts...

I'm watching Oprah right now and it's all about how to talk to your children about sex. They spoke with 7th and 8th graders, to see how much they already knew of and/or participated in.
Sexting? I didn't even know what that was till a couple years ago! My children won't be getting cell phones till I'm dead.
Sending nude photos? Forget it...no cell phones EVER.
Or Internet access.
Or hell...even pen and paper.
Okay, all joking aside...
I can see that I'm in for it. Saying that I want to be the mom that my kids can always come to with questions, means that I have to stop hyperventilating every time they do. The kids on the show made a point...if they are coming to me to talk...I need to chill out. They will completely shut down, because of how I react.
I think I did pretty well the last time Bailey came to me with questions, but I know that it's only going to get worse and more in depth. They have a little girl on the show who finally got "the talk" from her mom. At ten years old, this girl was quite mature in her attitude and questions. I was really impressed!
However, I could totally feel the mother's tension and embarrassment. I sat watching her and thinking, "Oh, thank goodness this is not ME!"
What?
I know it will be me one day. One day soon, even.
But for right this very minute...I can just be happy that my kids are all playing on their swing set together and the only thing they are worried about...
is how many cookies they get for a bedtime snack.

7 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so right there. I should have watched that episode. Bradley is only 11 and oh my God the questions he has and/or comments he makes!

De said...

I promise it gets better and easier with each child! The hardest part is trying to keep the dialog open. We look for opportunies to discuss dating, sex, and purity with our teen and preteen. Because we've been proactive, it isn't uncomfortable...anymore! And I'm actually enjoying the teen years.
Blessings!

The Dixie Millers said...

Well when you figure out what to say and how to handle it, I'm coming to you for pointers. I know I am an idiot when it comes to talking about stuff like that and I don't want Ky scared to open up to me....so take lots of notes that I can copy!!

Pam said...

I'm there with you! I want my kids to come to me- but I am going to have to practice not passing out first! I just want to hold them and keep them little just a bit longer.

Robbie and Mindy said...

Loved that episode, I couldn't believe how mature that little 10 year old was. They should do another episode about boys so Robbie can prepare for "the talk."

bequi said...

I am so terrified of this, I don't want my kids to ever leave the house, ever. And if they get a phone, there's no texting or pictures on it. They're getting bottom of the line, used for phone calls only phones.

SEXTING?!?!!?

My 16 year old sister-in-law is getting texts of penises.

mom said...

Hope you all are feeling better.