Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Murphy's Law

"If anything can go wrong, it will."
Let me add to that:
"If it can't go wrong, but you married into my husband's family...it will go wrong anyway."

Today started out wonderfully. The kids let me sleep in. They were pretty well behaved. They got their chores done.

We had plans to visit Kangaroo Zoo after lunch. We had never been there before and it sounded like so much fun. (pictures to come, later.) We had a great time and on the way home we decided to stop at Mom's house, so Josh could change the brakes on the van.

"I promise Leeann...it will only take an hour or so...I know you have to go home and work."

Bah. I should have known that something...anything...would go wrong.

So, he gets the tire off and the brake pads. I happened to be outside then and was looking at them and asked why one brake pad was worn so much more than the other? No one had an answer for me...but whatever.

Josh opens the box with the new brake pads and discovers!

Wait for it....

They gave him REAR brake pads...we needed FRONT.

He borrows his parents car and heads off to town to get the correct ones. Three hours from when he started (remember? "it will only take an hour or so..."), he is back and ready to put on the pads.

Then, we discover that the caliper pin is locked up. Dad and Josh take off the caliper bracket off (can you tell that I have no idea what I am talking about and I am simply regurgitating what I was told?) and try everything to get it to loosen. No such luck.

Well, that explains why the brake pads were wearing so unevenly.

Now we need a new caliper bracket. After calling all around, we find that no one has this and it is a day out. Finally, at a store about 30 minutes away, Josh finds the part.

Off he runs to that store, to grab this part. (Yeah...."it will only take an hour or so...")

Forty-five minutes later, he calls me. "Umm...they had a caliper PIN...not a caliper BRACKET."

Well, crap.

Murphy's Law?

Should be called "Josh's Law..."

Oh!

Just to add to it...

"That part is two days out..."

4 comments:

bequi said...

That really bites. I hate car trouble!

common mom said...

Sorry!!! I hate it when "an hour" turns into "a day" - UGH!

Brittney said...

Hahah, I have lived with Josh's law my entire life, I was born into this law not married into it, it does really suck. That's probably why family vacations stress me out so bad, cause something always goes wrong.

Stacy said...

Sounds so familiar!