Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Synonym Challenged"

I have a friend that gives people qualification tests, before hiring them. He gets quite a broad range of people in his office and he never fails to have a good story to tell.
The test is broken into three categories. Reading comprehension, vocabulary and math. In the vocab section you are given a word, and asked to select from four other choices, which of those words is similar to the first one. So, for example:

"ELICIT"
a. correct
b. corrupt
c. extract
d. unyielding

So, you'd choose "c" as the correct answer.
Today, he had a guy taking the test and he got to the word "MAIM".
He tells my friend, "I have a question about this one...it doesn't have the right answer."
My friend is all confused, "What?"
He says, "None of the answers that I can choose from, are "lady".

Wow. Seriously?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow. Yes, maim! ...I mean, ma'am... :D

Beth said...

What kind of math stuff does he ask them? I would really like to know so that I could pass along to my students that yes......you really might need this stuff again one day!

common mom said...

Oh my! :-)

bequi said...

Bwah ha ha ha ha!!! That's fantastic!