Sunday, February 8, 2009

"People Like Me..."

That anonymous person's comment has really bothered me the last couple days. (Although...the person is not so "unknown"...it's amazing how anonymous you really aren't, online.) The phrase "People like you..." is what has consumed my thoughts. I have never had someone use that phrase negatively, when talking about me.


I'm honestly upset that someone could happen upon my blog, read one post of mine (and read it incorrectly, to boot!) and feel that they can lump me into a certain type of people. I truly hope and pray that this person continues to come back to my blog, read it and realize how quickly they inappropriately judged me.


I hope that this person reads this post, because "people like me" think that racism is ridiculous. Or this post, because "people like me" willingly shave off all their hair and get a community to shave their heads, to support a family member with cancer. Or even this one, because "people like me" juggle five children, work, church, marriage and college classes, so that they can become a nurse and serve their community. How about this one, because "people like me" take time and money away from their own family, to save a baby from an extremely dangerous household. Which leads to this one, where "people like me" win custody of this baby and welcome her into their already busy household.


Or the hundreds of other posts that show "people like me" , who have learned to laugh through the frustration, cry next to the hospital beds of sick children and parents, and hold the hands of dying brothers.


Lastly, look through and see the "people like me" that are raising beautiful, strong, independent, tolerant, special, smart, caring, loving, giving, patient and wonderfully imperfect children...like mine.


14 comments:

Pam said...

Well, I would love to be friends with *people like you* and can only hope that my kids turn out as well as your family!

Mamarazzi said...

seriously Leeann...don't give this person anymore of your time or attention. i can pretty much guarantee that that person has dropped their words like a bomb and gone on with their lives, not giving you or your blog a second thought.

what you pay attention to GROWS...you are an amazing woman doing amazing things. people who REALLY know you and love you are the one's who matter...don't waste your beautiful blog space on this person.

Crysm said...

My life has been blessed because I am able to call a "person like you" my best friend. I love you and admire you. I also look up to you and the wonderful example you set for me.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say since the first time I stumbled upon your blog months ago I thought you were amazing and how you do so much and have such a big heart. I have read your blog and have said boy I need to be more like that. So I thank you for who you are.
I missed the post on sklie though I am going to have to go back and read those....

Hugs,
Sheila

Roni Blankenberg said...

This is Roni Blankenberg, Traci Millward Jensen's MIL. I've told you before how much I enjoy your stories about your beautiful family. I'm usually just a 'blurker', however, I feel the need to make a short comment. Leeann, from everything I've read, there couldn't be a more wonderful, loving, caring wife, mother, daughter and friend than you. I have never met you, but I know that if we ever did, I would be most honored!

Rachel said...

The world needs a lot more 'people like you'.

Gail said...

"People like you" are strong, determined, and not easily swayed.

When we sat in the chairs at the fire station watching our hair fall to the ground, we were strong woman. Shaving our heads in support of a brave woman who unfortunately is fighting cancer shows a quality of love and gratitude. Gratitude for all the things she has taught us and all the love and acceptance she has shown us. I am proud to be friends with you!

"People like you" is a proud club that anonymous wishes she could join.

Erin said...

"People like you" are awesome. You should be proud.

Tausha said...

People like you are what gives me hope in all people. People like you are what gives me strengtha dn gives me somone to look up to, aspire to be like, make me try harder.
I have not read the people like you comment, now I am really curious. Just know, from one freind to another-you are fantastic!

Tausha said...

went back and read the post and the comments.
So, you do know who it is that wrote that comment.
I am thinking that she had a lot of guts to write what she wrote and to do it with the littlest bit that you would know who she was.
I open my mouth all the time without thinking-but the thing with blogging is you get to type and then re-read what you type. You even get to hit the delete key when you make a mistake.
I have now come to the conclusion that her delete key must have been broken.
You are a good mom. No, scratch that a great mom. We all agree. It is truly sad that a teacher-that seems to know you, said what she said.
Now, maybe I am a little confused. i do tend to get that way a lot-I do know you rock! Your school is lucky to have you. Just a little reminder to tell you how great you are. Now, go and eat some chocolate and watch some ellen-you deserve it!

Shellie said...

I know how that feels. You are all right, let it go. Maybe that person was just having a bad day and didn't get it. Or is super sensitive. You just can't please everybody all the time.

Candygirlflies said...

Don't sweat the Trolls, my dear. There are too many of them to worry about. Be "teflon blogger"!! I know it's hard...

But those of us who "know" you and read your work regularly?

Love you to bits.

xoxoxo CGF

common mom said...

AMEN!!!

I would love to know more "people like you!"

suebug said...

"people like you" are rare, and far between in this old world, that's for sure and certain!