Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Rainbow Baby


I have heard the term "rainbow baby" before, but never understood what it was. Once I found out the meaning behind the term, I realized how very precious "rainbow babies" are and that I have one!
A rainbow baby, is a baby that comes after a loss. That loss could be a miscarriage, still birth or death of a child. These special children are like rainbows...after a storm.
My miscarriage was one of the biggest storms of my life. I remember feeling like I would never get over the loss of that little baby that we tried so hard to conceive. While I don't think I will ever "get over it", I have healed.
Finding out we were pregnant again, so soon after losing our baby, was extremely hard, yet a blessing. I worried every single day that I would lose this baby, too. The first time I saw Presley's heartbeat, I allowed myself to become attached. That made it so much harder, because I worried that if we lost her now...I'd never recover.
Thankfully, she was born perfectly healthy, although seven weeks early. She must have known how badly I needed her in my arms. My beautiful girl is worth weathering through any storm.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That is so beautiful!!

Andrea said...

I've never heard the term 'rainbow baby' before...how precious!

Bethany said...

I've never heard the term "rainbow baby" before but it makes total sense! :) What a neat way of thinking of a blessing baby. :)

bequi said...

I'll have to share that with my friend. She had 5 miscarriages before she finally had a baby and then she found out she won't ever be able to have another because it could kill her. :-( Knowing he's the only child she'll ever have just makes him that more special to her.