Thursday, January 15, 2009

Have I Mentioned That I LOVE Cheese???

We've had a visitor in our home the last two weeks or so. This visitor has really overstayed their welcome and I'm more than ready for said visitor to be on their way.
Our visitor's name is Colic.
Colic has taken my beautiful baby girl and turned her into a crying and fussy, beautiful baby girl. After much research I found that she has the classic "cries in the evenings, extra gassy, spit-uppity" colic. It usually hits about 2 weeks after birth. Here's the kicker though...with a premature baby, it doesn't hit until 2 weeks after the due date...not 2 weeks after birth. It's amazing to me that her body knows that and actually, I'm quite grateful. It gave me seven weeks to fall in love with her...before she turned on me. :)
One of the biggest triggers in breastfed babies seems to be the Mom's consumption of dairy products. The hormones in cow products can last in breast milk for 2-3 weeks, so I have to give it up at least that long to see if that's what's causing it. She has her two month old check up next week, so I'm going to talk to her doctor, too, to make sure that I'm on the right track.
Do you have any idea how many things have milk/milk products in them? Ugh. I'm going to be eating meat and salad (with dressing that doesn't contain milk!) for the next forever.
However, I'm just looking at the bright side...I'm on a forced "diet" that will help with my weight loss. Let's hope it works and I'm able to get some more sleep. Not being able to eat cheese AND no sleep...just wouldn't be bearable!

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh girl...COLIC?!?! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy -- but it's even worse when it's happening to a FRIEND!!

Here's hoping that you can nip this in the bud and get your happy baby back.

bequi said...

Good luck. I hope it's the milk and you don't have to keep cutting out crazy things from your diet.

My parents had 9 kids and none of them had colic and they believed it's because they carried the babies around almost constantly. Have you tried that? Just stick her in a carrier before you go about your day.

common mom said...

So sorry :-(

My 2nd had colic as well . . . and I had to give up MILK, even though it was the hormone free blah blah blah kind. Worked like a charm - FOR HER! Me, not so much. I'm a good midwesterner which means i"m a milk freak. I drink a 16 oz. glass every single morning and then another 1 or 2 8 oz. glasses during the day. Not to mention the other vast amounts of dairy I consume in a day.

This was not a happy time for me.

I'll be thinkin' about ya!

suebug said...

Colic sucks. But I could totally handle no cheese, you know me. As long as I can eat my candy I am good to go...keep us updated!

Geri said...

I love cheese too! Colic is the worst. My daughter had it, and we were both miserable for about 6 months. Hope the milk thing works.

The Joseph and Crystal Albrecht Family said...

Have you tried flavored soy milk and other soy products? I know, it is totally not the same thing, but maybe it will help satisfy your cravings until she's past this stage. The pediatrician told me that the average age to outgrow colic is 3.5 months, but that some cases last up to 5-6 months. Good luck!

Timmy and Traci said...

Hey Lee Ann, first off you are the best mama in the world.... Second, I don't think you need to go as drastic. My friend is a pediatrician as well so I will ask her too. But Milk has the most lactose in it, which is usually the main culprit in it that is the bother. If it were me I would supplement with some calcium and Vitamin D. If you are Vitamin D deficient it can inhibit weight loss, increase aches and pains, and also it helps with your serotonin levels. Calcium is very important for women, but broccoli has lots of calcium and vitamin C you just need to make sure you eat it a couple times a day to get the calcium... Whew sorry for the long comment. If you have any more questions just let me know!

suebug said...

Hey loser...come visit me :)! hehehehhee