Monday, November 3, 2008

Yeah...I'm Bragging

Since I can't get up and do anything, I've had to let go and let Josh do some things that normally I would do. Parent/Teacher conferences was one of those things. I'm always the one to do those, so it was strange sending him off to do it. But, he did well and I'm really proud of him. :)

Bailey's teacher said that she is a delight to have in class. She always listens, always does her work and always does her homework. She got top scores in every area and is ahead of grade level on her reading. Bailey has always been ahead on reading. That's never been an issue for her. She should be reading 60 words a minute and is up to 92. She really amazes me with spelling, though. She only misspelled 2 words all year, last year on her spelling tests and hasn't missed any so far this year. I don't know how she does it. We don't even study them anymore, because she just doesn't need the help. She has improved in math this year, but I still see that as her "weak area". It frustrates her sometimes, because she is so good at everything else and this is the only subject that she has to work on.

Ryleigh's teacher said that she wishes she had 26 Ryelighs. She said that she has wanted to talk to us about her reading, because she is more advanced than anything they are doing. So, she decided to up the reading books that she brings home. Thank goodness, because reading "I am Sam. Meet Mat. See Mit." was boring the hell out of my 5 year old. She also told Josh (and I was unaware of this before), that they have been pulling her out of class, to give her some time with a more challenging curriculum. This doesn't surprise me much - her preschool teacher advised us last year that she could easily test out of kindergarten and go right into 1st grade. Because she's really shy and already one of the youngest in her grade, we decided against it. However, I sometimes wonder if she could have handled it.

I'm so proud of them both. I'm so thankful that they aren't struggling in school. I hope this builds their confidence and pushes them to achieve great things. What a lucky Mom, I am.

6 comments:

Steph said...

You have AMAZING girls! Brag away!!

JLT6907 said...

I'd be bragging too! that's awesome news.

Pam said...

Way to go girls! I would be bragging too if those were the reports I got! Woo hoo! (and being a teacher- while Ry could have handled first grade- emotionally your probably did the righ thing. Now she has time to grow, mature, etc. Also, now she will stand out as being advanced and above the others instead of just average.)

Mom aka Nana said...

That's awesome that the girls are doing so well in school. Tell them that Nana is very proud of them and to keep up the good work.

Mamarazzi said...

always nice to get a good report from your kids teacher!

Andrea said...

Awww...that's wonderful!! You have every right to brag!

I skipped grade 1 due to my reading abilities and went straight to grade 2. It was awkward for me at first, but I never regretted the decision my parents made. I wasn't brilliantly bright in any other area, but I still maintained above average grades all throughout my school years.